What Kind Of Tetra Are These?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Miaw, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Miaw

MiawValued MemberMember

I have these tetras. They are like emperor tetras, except:
    Their adipose fin and scales by it are orange.
    The males have red pelvic fins.
    They look sort of turquoise above the dark line in the middle in certain light and angles.

IMG_20180415_134734.jpg
    IMG_20180415_134736.jpg
    IMG_20180415_134840.jpg
    IMG_20180415_173701.jpg

Sorry but they're so hard to photograph! They don't seem to be well coloured either :/

2. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I have been searching for a while now, and cannot find anything to what they may be.
    What were they sold as?

3. Mazeus

MazeusWell Known MemberMember

4. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

That would be my guess.

5. OP
    OP
    Miaw

MiawValued MemberMember

They are definitely not black neon tetra. They had them at the shop also. These were unlike any I had seen before.

I can't remember what they were sold as and neither does the store which is helpful :D

They think they would have been blue or purple emperor tetra.

6. OP
    OP
    Miaw

MiawValued MemberMember

Red-blue peru tetra! :)

7. AshyMurphyNew MemberMember

The last pic are definitely black neons, i have these myself :)

8. OP
    OP
    Miaw

MiawValued MemberMember

I promise it is just bad lighting. I think black neons have a less angular head/mouth too.

9. Mazeus

MazeusWell Known MemberMember

Glad you found your answer.

10. AshyMurphyNew MemberMember

do they look more like this? if so they are emperor tetras. i cant see you pic very well lol

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  11. OP
    OP
    Miaw

MiawValued MemberMember

No they're definitely Red-Blue Peru Tetra. I remember that the name had colours in it, and when I saw the fish and name I recollected it.

The emperor tetra is a bit close but has different coloured eyes, has yellow tips on fins rather than mostly-red fins. It has a less square face. It only has a small adipose fin which isn't orange/peach and doesn't have an orangey peach base.

Thanks for the effort but it is settled now :)

12. AshyMurphyNew MemberMember

No problem :)

13. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

I would tend to agree with your ID as Red-Blue Peru Tetra, described about a year ago as Hyphessobrycon margitae. That is a very lucky find, as these fish are still not commonly available in the hobby.

Yes, they do resemble Black Neons, and are likely a close relative, but the red/orange color in the fins does not occur on that species.

14. OP
    OP
    Miaw

MiawValued MemberMember

It's definitely what they were advertised as, the shop confirmed it and said they will get me more if the breeder has any :)

I'm going to try to spawn them myself too as a little project.

15. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Please keep us informed about how that project goes!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice