What Kind Of Tank Pals Can I Put With Salamanders?

1. Daniel13 Member Member

So I'm planning on building a 120 gallon paludarium for some salamanders and newts. I wanted to incorporate some fish for the in tanks "pond" portion . I have a 40 gallon with neon Tetras fancy guppies and wag tail sunsets platy's and was wondering if I could fill the water with them? The tank will be divided 50/50 so I'll have about 50-60 gallons of water for the fish to swim in.

2. Liz♡Gold Initiate Member

What kind of salamanders do you have? I personally wouldn't recommend it because some of your salamanders might eat your fish. Salamanders are hearty eaters!

3. Daniel13 Member Member

I don't currently have any but looking for some that won't eat the fish any recommendations on which species won't harm the fish? Or if larger fish would be better?

4. Liz♡Gold Initiate Member

If you really want to try it then I would recommend larger peaceful fish. Nothing very aggressive or it might hurt your salamander. In all honesty though I would think about it. Salamanders make great pets, but I think they would be better off in a tank of their own. Unless you want to do a tank filled with axolotls, which are great pets as well!