What kind of tank is this?

• Thread starter FLGirl
  • Start date

FLGirl

Well Known
I was given this tank and I'm not sure of it's size...they said maybe around 20.. It is small though, the dimensions are about 25 inches tall and 13 1/4 inches side and deep but on top and bottom it has a large section of plastic....I don't have a picture at the moment because someone broke my camera so I have to try and borrow one..

It has a flat plastic top & a little door for critter feeding....

Sharkdude

Well Known
There is a calculator on the bottom of the forum. You put in the dimensions and it tells you the gallons.

FLGirl

Well Known
Yeah but it says ''NAN'' when I put in the dimensions or if I cut them down it says 18.29 and I'm not sure how accurate it is for this tank. Id like to know if anyone knows what kind it is or if it has a name/brand (can't find it on the tank) maybe I could see how it was originally set up or something others have done with it...It is somewhat beaten up and lighting is ripped out and a hole is left from that...I was given it by a family member who was going to paint it and cut a hole in the top for lights but gave it to me so I kind of feel like I should put some effort into getting it up if possible..he said it needed to be handy manned.

Good news is I borrowed someones camera so here. hoto:

Any advice or ideas from anyone would be appreciated as well...Not sure what I'm going to do...I know its not ideal being small and tall with work needed but maybe I can do something interesting with it.

(forgot to mention the under gravel bits not sure if that came with it or was just added later, never used an Undergravel filter so prob won't now...it's not attached or anything)

ppate1977

Well Known
With the ugf on it, I would guess it is some kind of starter kit aquarium.

Sharkdude

Well Known
Looks like a 20 extra high.

FLGirl

Well Known
Wish I knew exactly...any ideas on what do with it?

Lexi03

Well Known
25x 13.25x 13.25= 19gallons

I used the calculator at the bottom of the page. In order for it to work, you need to convert the fractions to deciemals. The caluculator should be accurate for your tank since it is not round, curved or hex.

FLGirl

Well Known
Lexi03 said:
25x 13.25x 13.25= 19gallons

I used the calculator at the bottom of the page. In order for it to work, you need to convert the fractions to deciemals. The caluculator should be accurate for your tank since it is not round, curved or hex.
Duh, Thank you. 2 hours of sleep in 48 hours oops can't believe I did that!! ha ha

Iv measured the tank top to bottom not just where water would be, should I remeasure for better accuracy with the wide plastic or does that not matter...?

Ideas welcome.

FLGirl

Well Known
Anyone have any ideas on what to do with it?

Sharkdude

Well Known
A small community setup with like 3 platies and like 10 tetras. Should be okay add some nerites for cleanup and maybe some kind of shrimp.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
FLGirl said:
Anyone have any ideas on what to do with it?
I would add tall plants to it and caves along the bottom and make it a shrimp tank. Red cherries and ghosts would be totally cool climbing up those tall plants and twigs, etc.

Cycle first!

FLGirl

Well Known
Thanks! Posted before I was done...

I love live plants but I wonder if I will be able to get decent lighting setup from nothing...I'll try though..all my other tanks are on the lower light side but have lots of plants...A shrimp tank is a nice idea as I was about to setup a 10 gallon cherry shrimp tank but this tank Iv posted above might be in a common living area not just my bedroom and I'm not sure the rest of the household would be all that enthused about a shrimp only tank ha ha fish happiness comes first though of course.

Cognity7

Well Known
Angelfish like tall tanks.... I wouldn't do more than 1 fish though.. not sure how much room there really is to move around in this tank... I'd have to actually see (in comparison) it to be able to visualize...

FLGirl

Well Known
Does anyone else think 1 angelfish would be happy or is it too small? Iv wanted angelfish for a long time but it might be hard to get just one perhaps I will wait for a bigger tank.

I'm really thinking of shrimp tank now (thanks Meenu) it would be lovely to have a cherry shrimp colony in there....Anyone interested in sharing how they would set it up on a budget? I have a new air pump for up to 60 gallons and was thinking sponge filter (does anyone know a good place to buy sponge filters?) and I could start running it in one of my already established/cycled tanks easily...would you do anything else for filtration/circulation? How would anyone deal with the lighting? Just wondering how others would go about it, no wrong answers!

Lexi03

Well Known
I am afraid that the tank would be to small for a angel, they can get 6 inches from nose to tail and 10 inches from top to bottom.

I have no clue what to do about the filters sorry.

FLGirl

Well Known
Yes, thank you.

Does anyone have any thoughts on setting this up for shrimp?

Sharkdude

Well Known
Top Bottom