What Kind Of Sunfish Is This?

1. GlamCrab

GlamCrab Well Known Member Member

Im at a camping And caught this tiny sunfish- atleast i think its one.. my dad thinks its a bass. One thing we are sure of.. its a baby. It might be impossible to id but gonna give it a shot here.
    IMG_0447.JPG IMG_0448.JPG

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

Not a bass at all, looks more like a blue gill to me. If it was of the normal sunfish, like the pumpkin seed, you would at least see a little bit of the coloration.

3. Cheesearmada

Cheesearmada Member Member

Definitely a blue gill.

4. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

Probably a Green Sunfish, We call them all Blue Gill

5. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

So a baby bluegill? Neat! Never caught a bluegill where i live before. Only caught pumpkinseeds

6. James17

Depending on where you live there are lots of different sunfishes or bluegills in the u.s. In S.C. we have seven different ones.
    Most people seem to lump them into one group but they are all different in their own ways.

7. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

Im in canada actually but it makes alot of sense

8. James17

Bluegill and pumpkinseed seem to be about it up there

9. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Heavily distinguishable as a Blue Gill.

10. R

RyanLewis Member Member

Yep blue gill!

11. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Looks like a Bluegill.

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I used to catch this exact baby sunfish all the time when I lived in Minnesota, I believe it is a green sunfish but I'm not sure. I would think you need to wait for it to grow and color up to tell what species it is for sure.

13. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Just to add to the confusion: many have planted Bluegill x Green hybrids in ponds for fishing/food fish raising (commercially available in large quantities). They are mostly females, but one in 1,000 will be male, so that they do reproduce. With juveniles it is impossible to differentiate between hybrid, macrochirus, and cyanellus. I would wait for it to mature if you want to know what it is.

However, my best guess would be macrochirus (Bluegill) based on geographic location.

14. W

WanerWildlife Initiate Member

Green Sunfish (Lepomis cyanellus) are more common in streams than ponds, and the young have no barring. However, this fish also lacks the black gill flap of the Bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus), eliminating it. Pumpkinseeds (Lepomis gibbosus), even as juveniles, show a black gill cover with partial red edging. It is most likely a Bluegill X Pumpkinseed hybrid, or another Lepomis complex hybrid. I am referencing from personal experience for the Bluegill and Pumpkinseed, and I checked fry patterns in The Peterson Field Guide to Freshwater Fishes of North America North of Mexico.

15. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

im curious.. how big of an aquarium would i need to keep some?

16. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

About 120 Gallons as they get large and like groups though you could have 2 in a 75 Gallon.