What kind of starfish to get?

angelfish5765

kloseo

Congrats on entering the sw world. IMO on answering your questions:

first just be aware that it takes longer for tank cycling in sw tanks. You really want to make sure the tank is fully cycled before adding fish. Saltwater fish in general are more delicate than freshwater fish, and the sw fish will stress easier if prestine water conditions are not met (including ph, salinity, temp and nitrates ect)
Do you know what type of clownfish you will want? There are several different species of clowns that would fit nicely in your size tank?

I would add the clowns first.
I am not familiar enough with antheria to decide whether the antheria or tangs should go next.
the angel would be at the end of my list
IMO the very last fish should be the mandarin and I would wait at least a year.. they eat only live food (pods) and can desimate a tank very quickly ,you really need the tank to be mature before even considering this fish.
With that said, I have a scotter blenny (dragonet) and absolutely adore him
as far as inverts you could add cleaner shrimp and a good beginner starfish is the chocolate chip starfish, he is not as pretty as some of the others but is a good starting point

lanlesnee

If you think you may go with a reef at some point, be aware that not all star fishes are reef safe.

angelfish5765

The more I learn about reef keeping, the more I think I want to stay away from it. The lighting is expensive, the corals are expensive, and everything is super-sensitive. If I do a reef, it will be quite awhile from now. I would like 1 anemone for my clowns though. Are there any that would host 2 ocellaris (Nemo) clowns and not need a TON of light? I have a 48" compact fluorescent Coralife light. It has 2 of those bulbs that are doubled over on themselves. I don't think it's enough for many corals.

kloseo

you will need around 3 watts per gallon for your tank if you want to keep an anemone ( around a 270 watts for a 90g ), at that lighting you could keep basic coral. clowns don't need an anemone to host and will do fine without one if you decide not to invest the money in the lighting

Latest threads

Top Bottom