What Kind Of Sponge For Intake?

1. odelayheehoo Initiate Member

I've got an API Filstar XPS, which filters 250 gph, with a pretty heavy bi load, plus an Aqua Top sponge filter.

The problem I'm having is that the XPS has a very strong current from the output. Some of the fish enjoy it, but most don't (especially the hatchet fish).

I can't figure out how to modify the flow level. I tried a spray bar, but the water coming out made a strong current all the way across the top of the tank, no matter how I positioned the holes. That whole time I literally had bottom-dwelling hatchet fish!

Right now I have a small snip of ammonia-reducing filter floss in the output:
    IMG_20170715_085354.jpg

But all it does is split the current, so now there are two strong ones. Maybe a pot scrubber would help? Or stuffing some actual filter floss in the tube leading to the vent?

I'm nervous about putting anything over the input, because I need a high level of gph, but if it won't reduce the filtration capacity, then absolutely I'll try it. Ideally I think something like a pot scrubber, but how would I attach it?

2. odelayheehoo Initiate Member

D'oh! I forgot to say, my tank is a 29 gallon.

3. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

What about having the spray bar under the water

4. BHK3 Well Known Member Member

5. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I put something similar on my output, just a piece of course sponge from Petco.

IMG_20170715_105624.jpg

6. odelayheehoo Initiate Member

Would putting a sponge on the intake affect the gph rate?

7. odelayheehoo Initiate Member

Yes I tried that too. Also tried directing the spray in various directions. Nothing seemed to work. The spray bar actually made the turbulence worse because all the little jets were going gangbusters. It stinks because I tried so hard to make it work, I even extended the bar using filter tubing with holes cut along one side. I got so frustrated w/time & $$spent that I gave up on the spray bar and went back to the stock output.

8. Fish-whisper Member Member

Yes it would and if you want to slow down the filter you want it on the intake side. If you slow down a canister filter on the output side you create back pressure that could cause water channeling in the bio media, the opposite happens on the intake side, you create suction which draws the water evenly up through the media.

Look at Piaelliott photo, see the sponge on the intake tube next to the heater, put one of those on your intake. If that sponge causes to much restriction use a coarse sponge also shown in the photo.

Sponge on the intake also makes it easier to keep main filter clean, easy to clean the sponge more often and that waste doesn't end up in the main filter.

9. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Here's what I did on my thirty gallon. 501457445abb4169db9565fac66aad35.jpg . Please excuse the red rubber band, will have to do until get some wire to attach. It is just a small metal sieve from the kitchen drawer. It's high at water line so really can't see it unless bend down.

10. odelayheehoo Initiate Member

Ok I had put a pot scrubber over the output and it was much calmer. I've moved two pot scrubbers onto the intake, at least until I can order a sponge made for this. It isn't doing much for reducing the current, but perhaps a denser sponge will help. After the struggle I had getting my filter to work (had to replace the canister AND impeller) I do NOT want to screw it up.

Thank you very much for all the advice and pictures.

IMG_20170715_205435.jpg

11. odelayheehoo Initiate Member

Discusluv,

Love the name!

So your output flows into a strainer? That might work, as the water empties out of the filtration system normally. It collects in the strainer and then quickly drains into the tank. Is the end of the output above the water line?

Anything beats those ghastly pot scrubbers!

12. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

It is right above the water line. The fine mesh of the strainer disperses the water evenly through the holes, giving less agitation on top of water. I put the mesh on the input to eliminate splashing on my Frogbit plants, as water on top of leaves rots the plants.