Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
IMG_9994.jpeg

IMG_0001.jpeg
IMG_0003.jpeg

They apparently snuck in on a recent plant addition, not sure what they are though.

JustAFishServant

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Addictedtobettas said:
IMG_9994.jpeg

IMG_0001.jpeg
IMG_0003.jpeg

They apparently snuck in on a recent plant addition, not sure what they are though.
Hello Addictedtobettas!! Most of the time, these little guys are Bladder Snails. They're tiny, reproduce quickly, are hardy, and are very good tank cleaners! Most people don't want them in their tank, but I usually don't bother them (but I really only keep them in my pond-themed aquarium). Now that you know what they are, what are you going to do with them? Kill them with a potentially dangerous pesticide? Purchase an Assassin Snail, Pea Puffer, or Loaches? Manually remove them by hand? Or will you try something else? I'd like to know :)

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bladder snails. I've got an infestation of them. They're a bit unsightly but they don't hurt anything, they just eat dead plant material and leftover food. My mother is always nagging me to pull them out when I see them, but I know that for every one I pull out, the others will just hatch more offspring to replace them.

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Bladder snails. Breed super fast but aren't without their benefits. They can be controlled so long as you don't overfeed. There may be a small population boom at first but it levels out

OP
Addictedtobettas

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JustAFishServant said:
Hello Addictedtobettas!! Most of the time, these little guys are Bladder Snails. They're tiny, reproduce quickly, are hardy, and are very good tank cleaners! Most people don't want them in their tank, but I usually don't bother them (but I really only keep them in my pond-themed aquarium). Now that you know what they are, what are you going to do with them? Kill them with a potentially dangerous pesticide? Purchase an Assassin Snail, Pea Puffer, or Loaches? Manually remove them by hand? Or will you try something else? I'd like to know :)

Well, I wasn't sure what to do with them until I knew what they were. I had them set aside but in the chaos of tank adjustments I think they may have gotten tossed, which was not my intention.
However, I'm 99% sure I have more in the tank if those 2 had made it so far.

Don't think I'd ever use pesticides, pea puffer isn't supposed to be a great combo with Betta (from what I hear), and more snails? If they got out I'd probably hear about it from other folks o_O. And I was considering loaches so.. probably that?

I was pondering snails to help the pleco with some algae issues, so, guess I got my wish?!

JustAFishServant

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Addictedtobettas said:
Well, I wasn't sure what to do with them until I knew what they were. I had them set aside but in the chaos of tank adjustments I think they may have gotten tossed, which was not my intention.
However, I'm 99% sure I have more in the tank if those 2 had made it so far.

Don't think I'd ever use pesticides, pea puffer isn't supposed to be a great combo with Betta (from what I hear), and more snails? If they got out I'd probably hear about it from other folks o_O. And I was considering loaches so.. probably that?

I was pondering snails to help the pleco with some algae issues, so, guess I got my wish?!
Lol maybe you did! Assassin Snails are carnivorous predatory Snails. Their diet consist of only other Snails, though they won't eat each other. Loaches are good if you have the space :happy:

OP
Addictedtobettas

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JustAFishServant said:
Lol maybe you did! Assassin Snails are carnivorous predatory Snails. Their diet consist of only other Snails, though they won't eat each other. Loaches are good if you have the space :happy:
Will Assassin snails stay in the tank?

It’s a 45g with
1 betta
1 ram (for now)
1 tiny angelfish
7 endlers
2 panda Corys (adding more when lfs gets them)
1 clown pleco
1 female dwarf frog (probably add 1 more)
4 amano shrimp

which I think means I have plenty of room for a few loaches?

JustAFishServant

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Addictedtobettas said:
Will Assassin snails stay in the tank?

It’s a 45g with
1 betta
1 ram (for now)
1 tiny angelfish
7 endlers
2 panda Corys (adding more when lfs gets them)
1 clown pleco
1 female dwarf frog (probably add 1 more)
4 amano shrimp

which I think means I have plenty of room for a few loaches?
If I were you, I'd go for Assassin Snails. They will stay in the tank, but they won't eat any algae. For that, your Amanos should be doing the job :)

As for space, I think you're pretty full right now. The Amano Shrimp take up about 6 gallons (I say 1.5 gallons each instead of 2). African Dwarf Frogs take 1 gallon each and need to be in a group of 3 or more (so 3 gallons). The Endlers take about 5 gallons, and Corydoras (once you have a group of 6) will take up about 15 gallons. The Angelfish I'm not really counting, since it's so tiny, but probably 5 gallons since it is a type of Cichlid. You did say you're taking it out, so I won't count it. The Ram takes up about 10 gallons, and the Clown Plecostomus is about 30 gallons. So overall, your fish take up about 69 gallons in a 45 gallon aquarium. Loaches, depending on which species you get, should take up anywhere from 10 to as much as 100 gallons. Assassin Snails take up around 4 gallons, so you'll be at 73 gallons. I say go for the Snail! :D

nobettasinbowls

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JustAFishServant said:
If I were you, I'd go for Assassin Snails. They will stay in the tank, but they won't eat any algae. For that, your Amanos should be doing the job :)

As for space, I think you're pretty full right now. The Amano Shrimp take up about 6 gallons (I say 1.5 gallons each instead of 2). African Dwarf Frogs take 1 gallon each and need to be in a group of 3 or more (so 3 gallons). The Endlers take about 5 gallons, and Corydoras (once you have a group of 6) will take up about 15 gallons. The Angelfish I'm not really counting, since it's so tiny, but probably 5 gallons since it is a type of Cichlid. You did say you're taking it out, so I won't count it. The Ram takes up about 10 gallons, and the Clown Plecostomus is about 30 gallons. So overall, your fish take up about 69 gallons in a 45 gallon aquarium. Loaches, depending on which species you get, should take up anywhere from 10 to as much as 100 gallons. Assassin Snails take up around 4 gallons, so you'll be at 73 gallons. I say go for the Snail! :D
This is an interesting way of looking at stocking a tank.

OP, my main concern in adding loaches would be that you already have two species who occupy the bottom of the tank. You have your pandas (who will be in a school soon :) ) and the clown pleco. I guess you could count the amano shrimp as a bottom species, but they take up so little space. What is the length of your 45 gallon? Is it the typical 36 Lx12 W x24h?

With the loaches, you want at least 6, similar to cories. I wouldn't have two boisterous bottom shoaling fishes in a 3ft long tank personally. I also wouldn't put any loaches but kuhlis (who don't eat snails) in tank shorter than 4ft, because they are super active!

Another concern I would have is that loaches (at least, the ones who eat snails) are super zippy and competitive eaters at meal times. I would worry about the froggy getting food unless you target feed the frog.

How is your frog doing in such a deep tank? If the depth is not an issue (such as if you have tons of plants near the surface or something, where it does not seem like they struggle to come up to the surface), I would definitely get your ADF a couple more friends, as they are social and like to live with other ADF's.

I don't feel that a planted 45 gallon with a shoal (say 6-8) panda cories, 1 betta, 1 angel, 3 (ideally) ADF's, 4 amanos, 1 clown pleco, 7 endlers, and 1 ram is overstocked. I do think you are approaching the limit though, and a large shoal of loaches (such as zebra, skunk, tiger, yoyo, etc) would make you overstocked.

I am curious what temperature the tank is at to keep everyone happy, since they all sort of have different temp requirements? I am surprised that the betta, ram, and angel are all happy together, but perhaps since the tank is so large and I am assuming planted, they all are coexisting peacefully.

I certainly wouldn't add the loaches for reasons above. They also might try to nibble on larger shrimp, like amano, I believe.

If the snails don't bother you, I would just leave them. You can try assassins, but they also will take eat other snails, such as rams or mts if you have them and want to keep them. I accidently ended up with assassin snails when I wanted MTS, and they bred and were more problematic then my bladder snails ever have been :p

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom