What Kind Of Snail Important

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Compatability, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Compatability

CompatabilityValued MemberMember

I just saw this snail in my tank the only snail I have is a zebra and no live plants. I had a problem with pest snails before, I tore down my tank and cleaned everything. I wiped the walls of the tank and everything new.
    Please tell me it's not a pest snail. Help!!

Attached Files:

2. qchris87

qchris87Well Known MemberMember

Pic is pretty blurry on the snail so it's kind of hard to identify. Can you post another?

3. OP
    OP
    Compatability

Hopefully this is better! I had a problem with pest snails ,tore down my tank and started over, I saw this today and got really nervous, the bottom of the shell comes to a point, that's what the pest snails had. I only took 2 pics I hope you can tell me what it is?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  4. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Ehhh still a bit blurry! But it could be a pest/pond snail...looks like it...we need a better, more focused pic please...pretty please!

5. OP
    OP
    Compatability

I'm so sorry, I omly took 2 pics I've tried to adjust it so I'll send this one. Hopefully you can tell what it is. How would I get more of these snails when I started over??
    Washed the tank, new stones, cleaned filter etc?? Oh God I hope it's not a pest snail, that would mean others right??

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    Compatability

I'm so sorry, I omly took 2 pics I've tried to adjust it so I'll send this one. Hopefully you can tell what it is. How would I get more of these snails when I started over??
    Washed the tank, new stones, cleaned filter etc?? Oh God I hope it's not a pest snail, that would mean others right??

7. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, pretty sure it is. FYI, they reproduce asexually, so therefore there's a high chance that you're gonna have more...I actually love pond snails, but if you don't, get rid of him ASAP! lol

8. OP
    OP
    Compatability

I did get rid of it, I had a real problem with my first set up I had gotten a new tank 10 gallon set up everything, I had a beautiful baby Betta in fact my husband bought him for me for $7 I raised him and he was beautiful he was now worth $20. I had no idea that live plants brought in pest snails, I was infested with them I tried assassin snails they helped but not good enough then we tried small clown loaches and when they got to big the fish store said to bring back. We only had them for 4 days and we brought them back Long story short my poor Betta got so stressed out he died. I tore my whole tank down cleaned it got rid of everything, my husband brought the tank down to the kitchen sink and cleaned the tank inside with hot water and paper towels. I bought new stones plastic decorations and cycled my tank. Now I have 2 sword tail one black and a pineapple sword tail 2 mollies, 2 large bamboo shrimp and a little one, otos and one zebra snail. I found a baby snail on the glass of my tank today, I did take 2 pics but they came out blurt, probably,because I was nervous about it.. I hope I don't have anymore, I don't understand how I could get them again?? I don't want to go through this again.

9. OP
    OP
    Compatability

I got rid of it, unfortunately after I took the 2 pics. I'm just going to keep an eye in my tank, hopefully that was the only one.

10. OP
    OP
    Compatability

I did get rid of it, I hope I don't see anymore, I'm a wreck over this I don't want to go through tearing down another tank!

11. OP
    OP
    Compatability

OK, I woke up this am, saw a dot on one of my decorations, I thought it was the shrimp food but something told me get it out so I did and sure enough another snail. Now I just came up and looked in my tank and another bigger snail I got a better picture, please help is this a pest snail or is my zebra having babies?

Attached Files:

12. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Nerite snail eggs do not hatch in fresh water. It is a pest snail baby, they are very resilient to the point of if you don't pretty much redo the tank they can still be there, I had a tank empty for a year (dry with gravel) and had some pop up once water was back in it.

13. Jabberwock

JabberwockValued MemberMember

I have heard of people using this remedy. Peel a 4 inch section of carrot. Toss it in the tank before you go to bed. Remove it, and any snailish hitch hikers in the morning. Repeat until snails are gone.

14. Ms rose

Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

Pest snail for sure. If got them too. If you think it's a problem make a trap. I let then live but when they get out of control I trap and squish and feed to my fish lol. They aren't that bad as they do eat detritus and algae, but the make a wonderful snack if crushed for your fish. Not for the faint of heart. But i have no problem squishing and feeding,

15. OP
    OP
    Compatability

I just got back from my fish store, I bought a new filter, a stronger one m, I have a 10 gallon tank and our hometown fish girl Jesse is wonderful she told me to get a filter for a 20 gallon tank it's a while new set up, no more buying the filter pads she told me to put in prime and quick start. It's up and running now, I had tore down my tank and started over. I found a snail yesterday, I had no problem flushing it, now everything is new 'there is no possible way that I could have any snails but if I even see one I'm going to go crazy!!
    I really don't see how it's possible to have any now!

16. OP
    OP
    Compatability

Oh don't tell me that, I have redone my tank even bought a new and better filter, if I have any snails now I think I'll give up! I can't keep doing this, 30 years ago I had a 20 gallon tank, used tap water no chemicals, no water changes, didn't have water tested and my tank was beautiful ❣️ I think all this stuff is just over kill and keeps you buying more stuff for the tank, all I ever bought years ago was fish ❣️❣️❣️

17. The Hun (Betta Girl)

The Hun (Betta Girl)New MemberMember

When you tore everything down and cleaned the tank, you should have used bleach and water mixture and let it sit for at least five to ten minutes. One cup bleach with 19 cups of water, or adjust if you need more. Rinse well with cold water and Bam! No more snails!! ;)

18. The Hun (Betta Girl)

The Hun (Betta Girl)New MemberMember

I was just thinking the same thing the other day!! I had a twenty-five gallon hexagon in my room growing up as a kid. I would do water changes and scrape off any algae growing, lol... But nothing more than that and yeah, my tank was beautiful and my fish healthy! I had two losses from my pictus cats jumping out. Crazy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice