What Kind Of Snail??

ktorg

About a month ago I found two of these little snails in my tank. I thought they looked like baby mystery snails and that they must've hitched a ride as eggs on some plants I recently bought. I don't own a mystery snail and never have. Then this week I noticed at least 15 of them all of varying sizes. I always thought that mystery snails couldn't reproduce until they were larger. So now I am confused! I'm sure they can't all be from the same clutch of eggs because there is such a large variation in size and more keep appearing every day. From my experience they are not pest/bladder snails or ramshorn snails either. Any idea as to what they are??? Thanks!!

89e07cbb2874ffecad4b2c92b7202c3a.jpg
1d24795bc798d69dde658321b67b6b75.jpg
4390550dc65bb347630019b17e061221.jpg
b16ad85b9c1337ceda2c82b69892dcc6.jpg

James17

you unfortunately have pest snails like a lot of us, keep picking them out is all you can do.

Mothercrow

Mystery snail clutches are pretty big and solid, and are laid outside of the water. Picture #2 looks to me like a bladder snail. Picture #3 is gorgeous. He could be a blue ramshorn, but I thought that all of the colored ramshorns were apple snails, i.e. related to mystery snails.

It's my understanding that baby snails start out miniscule, so maybe some babies actually did hitchhike in on your plants? If you don't want him, send him to me--I have a tank dedicated to pest snails. Because I like them.

ktorg

Mystery snail clutches are pretty big and solid, and are laid outside of the water. Picture #2 looks to me like a bladder snail. Picture #3 is gorgeous. He could be a blue ramshorn, but I thought that all of the colored ramshorns were apple snails, i.e. related to mystery snails.

It's my understanding that baby snails start out miniscule, so maybe some babies actually did hitchhike in on your plants? If you don't want him, send him to me--I have a tank dedicated to pest snails. Because I like them.

They are all exactly the same shape and color, just different sizes. Picture 2 does look like a bladder snail from underneath but the shells are different. All the bladder snails I have seen before have a different shaped shell than these and are a brownish grayish color, mine are light blue. So I was a little confused. Also they don't have the shape of a ramshorn. I just thought it was interesting and wanted to see what people here thought. Thanks!

you unfortunately have pest snails like a lot of us, keep picking them out is all you can do.

Yeah, I have had an assassin snail in the tank for almost six months but it is kind of a bum and doesn't really do anything to earn its keep! I may have to start picking them out by hand!

ktorg

Well, I kept watching the snails over the past few weeks and I'm still convinced that they are not bladder snails. I took a few out the other day to try to "thin the herd" and noticed that their shells are super tough! The bladder snails in my other tank can easily be squished between my fingers but these can't! I still have no idea what they are

dae332b4afc4f934e953a90a959bad4f.jpg
0591c0692cb6ade5106df499f8ffec69.jpg
55ed18cac1cdb2f6378f6d949019e008.jpg

munne16

if you want to move some snails put a piece of celery in the tank. They love to eat it. They will all be attracted to it then you can pull them out and do what you will with them.

Mothercrow

No, you're right, those aren't bladder snails. Are you sure they're not ramshorns? I think you might have to wait until they're bigger to identify them for certain.

Kellye8498

It looks like a baby mystery snail to me but I could be wrong.

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom