What Kind Of Snail Is This? Help

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Catlene, Jan 8, 2019.

1. CatleneNew MemberMember

What kind of snails are these and how can I remove them from my tank permanently?

A couple months ago I bought hornwort from my local pet store and since then I’ve had an outbreak of snails. At first I didn’t think much of them other than free algae eaters but they’ve exploded and are taking over my tank.. I’ve got probably around 30 including adult sized and very tiny baby sized.

I feel bad killing them but also can’t really stand seeing them anymore plus how fast they’re reproducing is freaking me out

I have neon tetras and glofish tetras in the tank so any products that kill snails need to be safe for fish and as for assassin snails I haven’t had any luck finding any at any stores or in my area at all.

I think they’re pond or bladder snails but I can’t really tell..

Is my only option picking them out and hoping eventually I won’t have them or what’s the best thing I can do. I’ve put it off for a long time and now I’m desperate to get rid of them.. any advice and tips are appreciated.

IMG_4119.JPGIMG_4118.JPG

2. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Those are pond snails, they can reproduce asexually, meaning they don't need a mate to lay eggs.

3. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

Honestly they're harmless. They are either pond or bladder and simply cutting off excess food limits them. They are a great indication of overfeeding. If you want them gone though, cucumber in a trap left overnight is like a magnet for them

4. fjhWell Known MemberMember

Look like pond/bladder snails to me. But there has also been an upswing in faucet snails, which have the same shape/size but have clearish-white shells instead.

Picking them out and setting traps should work if you get them before they lay eggs. You could also get something that eats snails (like loaches) if your tank is large enough. As a last resort you can use copper if you dont plan on keeping any inverts. Honestly though, so long as you dont overfeed and keep up on maintenance, they shouldnt become a problem.

5. Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

Bladder snails because the spiral is on the left. Remove them by hand. Then use a vegetable that’s fish safe and leave it overnight. You can repeat it until there no more snails. Also try feeding your fish less maybe once a day and remove any uneaten food