What Kind Of Snail Is This? Question

1. The Hun (Betta Girl)

The Hun (Betta Girl) New Member Member

These guys came in on a plant. They were so tiny and are still. One I can't find... The small one. They big one is pictured here. They small one that isn't pictured is striped, like an assassin. I'm worried it is. This one I'm guessing is a Malaysian Trumpet snail? IMG_20180625_125749241.jpg IMG_20180625_125609796.jpg IMG_20180625_125739375.jpg IMG_20180625_125722899.jpg

2. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like a trumpet snail. They can turn into a real pain in the neck. I find that soaking new plants in a bucket of water with some potassium permanganate takes care of things. I always regret it when I forget to do that.

3. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

That's a trumpet snail. Great for sifting substrate, in reasonable numbers. And if their population booms then you know you need to feed less and clean more.

4. OP
    OP
    The Hun (Betta Girl)

Awesome! Thanks. But if the other is an Assassin snail, will it kill the Trumpet snail? The Assassin looking one is smaller. Half the size of the trumpet.

I was actually just looking that potassium up! I need some. I have heard of bleach dipping, but I have water lettuce (not the dwarf kind), and I heard they are too delicate for bleach. Is that true?

Here is a pic of the smaller one. You can see the spiral shape is more defined in this one. Has me worried. I don't want an assassin snail. I am already stuck with one!

Duh. The pic. IMG_20180625_133419791.jpg

You can see the bigger one in the background, lol. I didn't mean to do that.

5. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

I see a pond snail on the left, and a blur.

6. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

The pics all look like MTS to me.

7. OP
    OP
    The Hun (Betta Girl)

Thank you, I agree. I appreciate your input!

Thank you!