What Kind Of Snail Is This?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by elleseven, Apr 16, 2017.

1. elleseven

elleseven New Member Member

Hello! This is my first time posting in this forum. I have a cycled 16L tank and recently bought a new java fern plant for my aquarium, and after a few days noticed that a snail has hitched along! Can anyone help me identify what kind of snail this is? I have looked at the various photos posted here, and it seems like a mystery snail? Can someone confirm?

It's been living in my tank with 1 betta for about 20 days now and it has not layed any eggs. It wanders around pretty fast almost everywhere and has grown bigger since I first noticed it, but it is still very very small, probably about 1cm in length. Here is a photo:

Thanks in advance!

2. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

It's a pond or bladder snail - mostly regarded as a pest snail. See picture below to differentiate which. The pond snail is larger.

2zzqcmh.jpg

3. OP
    OP
    elleseven

Thanks for helping to identify him! At the moment, it hasn't reproduced, but wondering should I take it out?

4. B

Eh, I had them when I had a 10g and I still have some in some of my scud tanks. I never had an issue with them, nor cared, personally. It will reproduce; they can reproduce with just one. If you'd rather avoid having a bunch of snails, you can maybe make him a little tank of his own? Kritter Keepers and similar containers make good bladder snail tanks. My 1 gallon container sustains 6 bladder snails and a bunch of scuds with no issues.

5. OP
    OP
    elleseven

Wow, okay, thanks for the advice! For now I guess I will monitor to see if there it reproduces and then move them if the numbers increase. :)

6. B

The eggs usually hatch before you see them. They're in tiny jelly-like clusters.

7. OP
    OP
    elleseven

I've been observing the tank for those... so far nothing. I'm actually excited to have more! haha it can help clean my other tank. I just have to make sure I don't overfeed the fish so that snail numbers don't explode right?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice