What Kind Of Snail Is This / How To Get Rid Of It?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Sheeps12, Apr 12, 2017.

1. S

Sheeps12 New Member Member

img_9561_1_by_orcaowl-db5k166.jpg

I got plants a few weeks ago and today I noticed 5 tiny snails in my aquarium... I took out the 4 that I could reach, but I don't really know how to get rid of the rest. I don't want to use an assassin snail since I have a nerite snail that I like. I'd like to know what kind of snails these are so I know what their eggs look like! Thank you!

2. Jnx

Jnx Valued Member Member

Looks like bladder/pond snail. Their eggs look like tiny, tiny replicas of frog eggs: little, clear, gelatinous goo groups that have teeny tiny dots in them. They typically lay their eggs on smooth surfaces, like glass or large rocks.
    I keep mine in control by having designated snail jars and ponds. I keep them planted, and just toss snails in when I see them. I keep the snails because they're good algae eaters, so if I get an algae bloom I just grab a couple of snails, then throw them back in their pond when they get the algae under control.
    Most people recommend putting a bit of cucumber or the like on a fork in the tank overnight, then remove it, with the attached feasting snails, in the morning.

3. OP
    OP
    S

Huh, I didn't think to keep them. What kind of set up would the snail jar need? I will try the cucumber tonight. I didn't see a lot of snails in the tank and don't know how fast they multiply so it should be ok? I'm just worried about them eating all of my plants

4. OP
    OP
    S

Are these white dots the snail eggs? Or something else?

untitled_by_orcaowl-db5k9ei.jpg

5. kluggy

kluggy Valued Member Member

Those don't seem to look like pond snail eggs, here's a picture of what to look for.
    [​IMG]

6. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Those white dots in Sheeps photos look like Nerite snail eggs. They won't hatch in fresh water, but they can look ugly over time. You have to scrape them off.

7. Jnx

Jnx Valued Member Member

I usually just put a few plants in, some gravel, a bit of bone, put it in diluted sunlight, and do partial water changes every few days. You can get pretty decorative with them.

They will multiply like mad, and will go after your plants. Diligence and baiting are your best bet. How'd the cucumber work?

8. OP
    OP
    S

I just ended up taking them out one by one and I haven't seen any in a week since I've been taking them out every day before. And that makes sense with the Nerite snail eggs, I don't really mind them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice