What kind of snail am I looking for?

Nancy Drew

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd like to get a snail for each of my tanks to assist with cleanup. One tank (5 gallon) has a Betta, live plants, and an algae problem. I realize the Betta might not like the snail's company, so I'm prepared to watch that tank whenever I add the snail and move it to the other tank if needed.

The other tank is a 15 gallon that currently has 5 Hengels Rasbora and will eventually have more peaceful fish (maybe Corys, or Otos, maybe a couple of livebearers, maybe an ADF). That tank also has live plants and MopanI driftwood, and the wood has a biofilm problem. No algae yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if it showed up.

So what kind of snail might help with the algae in the Betta tank? I keep reading that snails are crazy reproducers, and that if I have one snail I'll wake up one day and find I have eleventy billion of them. Is there a type of snail that doesn't reproduce like mad? Am I doomed to have a "snail problem" if I introduce a snail to each tank?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nerites are algae vacuums and need brackish water to reproduce. They also happen o have many gorgeous patterns.

Livebearing snails, like MTS and pond snails, have a bad reputation that is largely undeserved. The population explosions you read about are the direct result of overfeeding. Limit the food supply, control the population. But people don't think they overfeed so they blame the snails when really it's the person's fault. Snails are really beneficial, especially the MTS who aerate the substrate.

-Lisa

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Get a nerite! They look awesome! They are not hermaphrodites, but the female *can* store sperm and reproduce.

Hope it helps!

rainman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yallyall1 said:
Get a nerite! They look awesome! They are not hermaphrodites, but the female *can* store sperm and reproduce.

Hope it helps!
They can't reproduce in fresh water though which is a plus.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I agree nerites will clean your tanks very well! They are the perfect snail for your tank!

Nancy Drew

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Awesome, thanks everyone! Sounds like nerite is the way to go.

Not sure I can find any locally, so maybe Aquabid is my best bet?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads