What Kind Of Silicone Should I Use To Reseal Aquarium

Ivaan

got me a 250g aquarium that I need to reseal. I've seen many videos online that say to use GE silicone 1. My local aquarium groups say don't trust silicone 1 on an aquarium that big because of the pressure of 250 g. I'm just in the middle not knowing what to do.

Jayd976

Personally, given that size tank I wouldn't reseal it and unfortunately would replace it completely. Just not worth the risk that is a lot of pressure to reseal it and if your not confident in what you're doing then could be 250 gallons of water and fish on your floor. I ditched my 90gal that had compromised seals for that reason. Sold it to someone to use as a reptile tank to help pay for the replacement tank. Just my 2 cents.

If you do decide to try and reseal it you want aquarium safe silicone. Can be found at any online fish retailer like Drs foster and smith, marine depot, bulk reef supply, etc. You don't want the stuff from say home depot as it has anti-mold and mildew chemicals in it that are toxic to fish.

nyless

I just re-did my 55 gallon with GE silicone #1 its been used for aquariums for a long while and doesn't have any mildicides etc in it. however if I was doing what your intending on doing I would go ahead and buy aquarium safe silicone just to make sure I had no issues. the price difference is fairly negligible but I would think the piece of mind from using the right product would be priceless...

NavyChief20

I've done 55 gallon through 550 gallon with ge silicone 1. The "aquarium" stuff from a pet store or the like is the same thing.

Ivaan

I've done 55 gallon through 550 gallon with ge silicone 1. The "aquarium" stuff from a pet store or the like is the same thing.

How have they been holding up after using ge 1

NavyChief20

How have they been holding up after using ge 1
All solid and no leaks

Ivaan

How many tubes of silicone should I get to do the entire 250

NavyChief20

How many tubes of silicone should I get to do the entire 250
I'd get 6 at least

nyless

1 tube of silicone barely did my 55 gallon last sunday. I should have bought 2 but I'm el cheapo (at least according to my wife). I would guess 5 or so but I would definitely buy a few extras.

NavyChief20

Yeah I buy 3 for 55-125 and 6 for bigger. My gf says I over engineer things I say I make it exactly as strong as it needs to be....plus 110%

Ivaan

Lol. Sounds like my wife. I'm getting the 5 ASI for $38 on ebay. Is that a good deal or should I shop around some more
1 tube of silicone barely did my 55 gallon last sunday. I should have bought 2 but I'm el cheapo (at least according to my wife). I would guess 5 or so but I would definitely buy a few extras.

nyless

I'm not sure on pricing but that doesn't sound to bad id expect to pay 5-10$ anywhere I went for a tube of any type of silicone. was the 38$ with shipping? or without? that's what I would watch out for otherwise id say $7.60 is a fair price and I wouldnt have any problems paying that. I think the tube of ge #1 I bought was about that price at home depot and when I was at the LFS later that weekend I believe a tube of actual aquarium silicone was about 11$. so I think your safe with that price unless they are gouging you on shipping costs in addition to the $38.00

Ivaan

I'm not sure on pricing but that doesn't sound to bad id expect to pay 5-10$ anywhere I went for a tube of any type of silicone. was the 38$ with shipping? or without? that's what I would watch out for otherwise id say $7.60 is a fair price and I wouldnt have any problems paying that. I think the tube of ge #1 I bought was about that price at home depot and when I was at the LFS later that weekend I believe a tube of actual aquarium silicone was about 11$. so I think your safe with that price unless they are gouging you on shipping costs in addition to the $38.00[/

Pricing includes shipping. I was in another website where they were 5 each but they wanted to charge me an arm and a leg for shipping and also handling

Attachments

• 6C78F2B6-5F47-4211-85F5-3D7CC50F84A7.png
    6C78F2B6-5F47-4211-85F5-3D7CC50F84A7.png
    155.4 KB · Views: 127

NavyChief20

You can get 6 of ge silicone 1 for 5.23 a pop at lowes

nyless

I don't think that's a bad deal at all since its including shipping. that's like 7.6$ per tube which I think is fair. plus you can sit and have a beer while its delivered and not have to deal with the chaos and hordes down at the local big box store. I say do it!

NavyChief20

I don't think that's a bad deal at all since its including shipping. that's like 7.6$ per tube which I think is fair. plus you can sit and have a beer while its delivered and not have to deal with the chaos and hordes down at the local big box store. I say do it!
Yeah that's a good point. I'd rather toss back a few stouts than deal with the home depot horde

cassidy christopherson

got me a 250g aquarium that I need to reseal. I've seen many videos online that say to use GE silicone 1. My local aquarium groups say don't trust silicone 1 on an aquarium that big because of the pressure of 250 g. I'm just in the middle not knowing what to do.
dont reseal just replace

NavyChief20

dont reseal just replace
If you're going to replace it how much do you want for it?

Goldiemom

I'm not sure on pricing but that doesn't sound to bad id expect to pay 5-10$ anywhere I went for a tube of any type of silicone. was the 38$ with shipping? or without? that's what I would watch out for otherwise id say $7.60 is a fair price and I wouldnt have any problems paying that. I think the tube of ge #1 I bought was about that price at home depot and when I was at the LFS later that weekend I believe a tube of actual aquarium silicone was about 11$. so I think your safe with that price unless they are gouging you on shipping costs in addition to the $38.00
DAP silicone at Home Depot is very reasonable and aquarium safe. It actually says it on the package. I think it was less than 5 bucks/ tube.

DAP silicone at Home Depot is very reasonable and aquarium safe. It actually says it on the package. I think it was less than 5 bucks/ tube.
Oops, just saw your comment about Home Depot. Never mind.

david1978

I like the ge brand to reseal tanks. Have done 2 55's and a couple smaller. For just sticking rocks together and things like that I get dollar store 100% silicone. Not sure if I would trust $1.25 tubes to hold together much more then a 10 gallon tank.

Goldiemom

I
I like the ge brand to reseal tanks. Have done 2 55's and a couple smaller. For just sticking rocks together and things like that I get dollar store 100% silicone. Not sure if I would trust $1.25 tubes to hold together much more then a 10 gallon tank.
Is Dollar Stores safe for tanks? I just st need to silicone a divider in.

NavyChief20

I

Is Dollar Stores safe for tanks? I just st need to silicone a divider in.
If it says 100% silicone and no additives like mold resistant it should be fine

Ivaan

Should I use this to smooth out silicone once it's applied. Not to good at using my big fingers to smooth out silicone. Has not worked out for me in the shower. Buy this thing does a fantastic smooth bead. Any thoughts

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 122

NavyChief20

Should I use this to smooth out silicone once it's applied. Not to good at using my big fingers to smooth out silicone. Has not worked out for me in the shower. Buy this thing does a fantastic smooth bead. Any thoughts
Those work ok. I put a little bit of dish soap in water to make my finger slick and do it that way.

nyless

I just did my 55 the other day and I took an old frequent buyer card from a store (the firm ones that are like a credit card) and I cut the radius a little bigger on one end and used that.

If I had a tool like your showing I would have just used that. I see no reason it won't work fine for your needs.

NavyChief20

I just did my 55 the other day and I took an old frequent buyer card from a store (the firm ones that are like a credit card) and I cut the radius a little bigger on one end and used that.

If I had a tool like your showing I would have just used that. I see no reason it won't work fine for your needs.
Yup store cards work great for that. I use em as guitar picks too lol.

Ivaan

The day has come. Just got out of work. Doing a last minute cleaning on all the edges and starting the process.

Attachments

• 5DC667E0-16B7-4BAC-A9CE-91E09C596D61.jpeg
    5DC667E0-16B7-4BAC-A9CE-91E09C596D61.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 97

nyless

The day has come. Just got out of work. Doing a last minute cleaning on all the edges and starting the process.
Good luck!

NavyChief20

gitcha some!

Ivaan

Wow. Can't believe I was that nervous to start the silicone. But it's all done. I didn't use any tape on the edges being that I was outside and it was a bit windy. I would vacuum the tank and after a few min would get dirt particles. So I worked fast. The edges aren't the best but it looks good

nyless

Wow. Can't believe I was that nervous to start the silicone. But it's all done. I didn't use any tape on the edges being that I was outside and it was a bit windy. I would vacuum the tank and after a few min would get dirt particles. So I worked fast. The edges aren't the best but it looks good
Pics?

Ivaan

Good news. After sealing it and waiting a week for it to cure. It worked. No leaks. Now I have to get about 8 people to help me place it on stand.

Attachments

• 8414C13A-903B-4D41-9425-8F5855D206F8.png
    8414C13A-903B-4D41-9425-8F5855D206F8.png
    408.8 KB · Views: 98
  • A4836436-4DE1-431D-BC1F-9B21BE765CE0.png
    A4836436-4DE1-431D-BC1F-9B21BE765CE0.png
    330.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 3A6BE131-20DA-4DF2-9A45-91022501B67E.png
    3A6BE131-20DA-4DF2-9A45-91022501B67E.png
    393.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 2B00724E-FB9E-457C-B9E2-597DF79A85AC.png
    2B00724E-FB9E-457C-B9E2-597DF79A85AC.png