What Kind Of Shrimp Are These?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by oOBlueOo, Apr 26, 2017.

1. oOBlueOoWell Known MemberMember

I was under the impression that they were Amano shrimp. They were labeled as Japanese algae eating shrimp at petco.

I removed them from my tank because I saw them attack fish. I had some odd neon and rasbora deaths and couldn't figure it out until I saw these guys in action. No deaths since I removed the shrimp. 3061bed5fd68f31e900e8a010c13766b.jpg2e0c69c84523ca59fe73455587591422.jpgdca15517f390631eb0486f826ac3a7bc.jpg0e4eadc27531dea7d0e97be456b20943.jpg

2. smitty23Valued MemberMember

3. andychrissytankValued MemberMember

Caridina multidentata, or Amano Shrimp
    you can tell because the stripe on its back has been cut into two down the middle, giving them clear dorsal stripe and the broken stripes on their sides that look like morse code
    yours are a little "milkier" in color than most, as in the last picture
    were any neons or rasporas sick?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  4. RedLoredAmazonWell Known MemberMember

I have those same guys from Petco too! They will run into fish sometimes, but mine have never hurt them. The fish have learned to stay out of their way when they are swimming around. It is a bit odd that yours went after your fish since they are herbivores.

5. oOBlueOoWell Known MemberMember

None of my fish were sick. They were smaller than the shrimp though.

6. KingDFishlore VIPMember

They are definitely Amano Shrimp also known as Japanese algae eater shrimp. Although I highly doubt they killed you neons and harlequins, they can be fiesty little shrimp.

7. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I agree, they are amanos

I have amanos and they are completely peaceful. They get along fine with my young white clouds and are completely peaceful. They mostly eat algae or vegetable based food but will also eat any uneaten fish food they come across. I would be very very surprised if they had eaten your fish. Even if they wanted to I doubt they would be able to catch healthy fish especially fast fish like neons or rasboras.

8. aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Agree with above, you got amanos

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice