What Kind Of Rock Is This?

Bruce Barrera

Valued Member
Reaction score
I recently bought an used Biocube set and the previous owner gave some of his eqpt including some stability, clarity, scrapers etc and rocks.

I'm new to reefing so can someone help me identify what kind of rock the previous owner gave me?

Picture attached.

Thanks
20190904_191403.jpg

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It indeed looks like lava rock, which isn’t the usual choice for a reef tank. Stability is meant to help give you a boost when cycling, but there are better options out there in my opinion if you want to go that route. Clarity is meant to help you achieve clear water but in my experience, it is not necessary at all. Running carbon and filter floss along with good husbandry is much more important!

Hope this helps!

Bruce Barrera

Valued Member
Reaction score
It indeed looks like lava rock, which isn’t the usual choice for a reef tank. Stability is meant to help give you a boost when cycling, but there are better options out there in my opinion if you want to go that route. Clarity is meant to help you achieve clear water but in my experience, it is not necessary at all. Running carbon and filter floss along with good husbandry is much more important!

Hope this helps!
Thanks but I know very well what stability and clarity are. Been on the freshwater hobby for quite some time now. Was just in doubt about the rock since I'm a rookie in all things reef and this piece looks odd.

They also gave me a bucket of sand/gravel mix together with some fake plants so with the info that this is lava rock I believe they were using the Biocube for a freshwater tank, not a reef. I don't see any leftover of coraline algae too. There should've been some around the tank, right?

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks but I know very well what stability and clarity are. Been on the freshwater hobby for quite some time now. Was just in doubt about the rock since I'm a rookie in all things reef and this piece looks odd.

They also gave me a bucket of sand/gravel mix together with some fake plants so with the info that this is lava rock I believe they were using the Biocube for a freshwater tank, not a reef. I don't see any leftover of coraline algae too. There should've been some around the tank, right?
Ah gotcha. Just thought you might want background on its use (or lack of) in the salty world. If it was a proper reef setup, you should definitely have had leftover coralline. That stuff doesn’t generally come off without a vinegar soak and some elbow grease.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom