What Kind Of Rabbit Snail?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,126
Reaction score
3,506
Location
Atlanta, GA
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've had this little one for 1 year and 3 months. He's not that big, and initially I thought he was a minI rabbit snail.
Well, I want to get more for a little desert scape tank with black rose shrimp, and baby rabbit snails would be cool.
So, is he a mini? Would a 10 gallon work for him?
 

Attachments

abarb

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
315
Experience
5 to 10 years
What color is the foot?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Rtessy

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,126
Reaction score
3,506
Location
Atlanta, GA
Experience
5 to 10 years
abarb said:
What color is the foot?
Yellow with little black/gray stripes. He hasn't been feeling good lately, not sure why, so I haven't been able to get a good pic
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
Rtessy

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,126
Reaction score
3,506
Location
Atlanta, GA
Experience
5 to 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
isn't that an assassin snail?
No, it's a rabbit snail. If it was an assassin, I wouldn't have 50+ MTS in my 5 gallon, lol
Assassins have bolder colors and differently shaped shells.
 

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,911
Reaction score
9,737
Location
Rhode Island USA
Experience
Just started
Rtessy said:
No, it's a rabbit snail. If it was an assassin, I wouldn't have 50+ MTS in my 5 gallon, lol
Assassins have bolder colors and differently shaped shells.
Yes very true about the colors and the amount of MTS. Will assassins also burrow to get to the MTS or do they wait till they show up above the substrate and then get em? oh wait i'm sorry I didnt mean to hijack your thread with another question.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
Rtessy

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,126
Reaction score
3,506
Location
Atlanta, GA
Experience
5 to 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
Yes very true about the colors and the amount of MTS. Will assassins also burrow to get to the MTS or do they wait till they show up above the substrate and then get em? oh wait i'm sorry I didnt mean to hijack your thread with another question.
No problem, but I honestly have no idea, sorry! Never kept assassins.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Rtessy

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,126
Reaction score
3,506
Location
Atlanta, GA
Experience
5 to 10 years
upinak said:
I think that’s a big assassin. My assassin doesn’t go after big snails, burrows all the time, and occasionally comes up.

I just got a rabbit, but that looks like an assassin. Neat snail either way.

Here is mine. He is also getting darker.
No, definitely a rabbit snail. Had it well over a year, it's got the rabbit/elephant looking face. He's not feeling good so he's been tucked in all day (also, he lost his antennae :/) I'll go see if he's out now.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
Rtessy

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,126
Reaction score
3,506
Location
Atlanta, GA
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not out, but as you can see, the shell is entirely a different shape and color. Thin shell, not undulating, no parts sticking out. The body is gold with black/gray stripes, assassins don't have that.
Edit: found some baby pics! Here's one.
 

Attachments

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,170
Reaction score
5,412
Location
Ireland
Experience
2 years
Rabbit snails grow at a very slow rate. You made a post in June last year saying he was 3/4", if he's only grown to about an inch in that time he could very well be a mini. Then again they continue to grow for pretty much their whole lives, and they can live for 1-3 years, sometimes more. So he might yet grow quite a bit more. This article says this:
"Rabbit snails are of breeding age and size when they approach 1.5 inches (3.8 cm). This may take close to a year for them to attain this size, depending upon quality of care and their particular growth rates"


He could just be a species that doesn't actually reach the 4-5 inch size and so he grows less in a year than other varieties. Either way, at the size that he's at he would do fine in a 10 gallon. At the rate he is growing, he should be fine for quite some time even if he does eventually grow large. He looks kind of like these particular rabbit snails:


 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
Rtessy

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,126
Reaction score
3,506
Location
Atlanta, GA
Experience
5 to 10 years
Feohw said:
Rabbit snails grow at a very slow rate. You made a post in June last year saying he was 3/4", if he's only grown to about an inch in that time he could very well be a mini. Then again they continue to grow for pretty much their whole lives, and they can live for 1-3 years, sometimes more. So he might yet grow quite a bit more. This article says this:
"Rabbit snails are of breeding age and size when they approach 1.5 inches (3.8 cm). This may take close to a year for them to attain this size, depending upon quality of care and their particular growth rates"


He could just be a species that doesn't actually reach the 4-5 inch size and so he grows less in a year than other varieties. Either way, at the size that he's at he would do fine in a 10 gallon. At the rate he is growing, he should be fine for quite some time even if he does eventually grow large. He looks kind of like these particular rabbit snails:

He does, thanks!! Huh, didn't realize he's only grown 1/4" in half a year lol, he was ~1/4" when I first got him. He actually came from Petco, they thought he was an MTS and I got him for free (woo!).
I'll check those out more, and run that one through Google translate, lol
 

upinak

Active Member
Member
Messages
108
Reaction score
52
Location
From Alaska, but live in the south.
Experience
Just started
Rtessy said:
He does, thanks!! Huh, didn't realize he's only grown 1/4" in half a year lol, he was ~1/4" when I first got him. He actually came from Petco, they thought he was an MTS and I got him for free (woo!).
I'll check those out more, and run that one through Google translate, lol
He sure is pretty! Mine is just a yellow. I call him Harvey.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
90
Guests online
2,236
Total visitors
2,326

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom