What Kind Of Rabbit Snail?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Rtessy, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

I've had this little one for 1 year and 3 months. He's not that big, and initially I thought he was a mini rabbit snail.
    Well, I want to get more for a little desert scape tank with black rose shrimp, and baby rabbit snails would be cool.
    So, is he a mini? Would a 10 gallon work for him?

Attached Files:

2. abarb Well Known Member Member

What color is the foot?

3. Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Yellow with little black/gray stripes. He hasn't been feeling good lately, not sure why, so I haven't been able to get a good pic

4. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

5. Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

No, it's a rabbit snail. If it was an assassin, I wouldn't have 50+ MTS in my 5 gallon, lol
    Assassins have bolder colors and differently shaped shells.

6. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

Yes very true about the colors and the amount of MTS. Will assassins also burrow to get to the MTS or do they wait till they show up above the substrate and then get em? oh wait i'm sorry i didnt mean to hijack your thread with another question.

7. Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

No problem, but I honestly have no idea, sorry! Never kept assassins.

8. upinak Valued Member Member

I think that’s a big assassin. My assassin doesn’t go after big snails, burrows all the time, and occasionally comes up.

I just got a rabbit, but that looks like an assassin. Neat snail either way.

Here is mine. He is also getting darker.

Attached Files:

9. Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

No, definitely a rabbit snail. Had it well over a year, it's got the rabbit/elephant looking face. He's not feeling good so he's been tucked in all day (also, he lost his antennae :/) I'll go see if he's out now.

10. Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Not out, but as you can see, the shell is entirely a different shape and color. Thin shell, not undulating, no parts sticking out. The body is gold with black/gray stripes, assassins don't have that.
    Edit: found some baby pics! Here's one.

Attached Files:

11. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

Wow eerily cool looking :)

12. Feohw Well Known Member Member

Rabbit snails grow at a very slow rate. You made a post in June last year saying he was 3/4", if he's only grown to about an inch in that time he could very well be a mini. Then again they continue to grow for pretty much their whole lives, and they can live for 1-3 years, sometimes more. So he might yet grow quite a bit more. This article says this:
    "Rabbit snails are of breeding age and size when they approach 1.5 inches (3.8 cm). This may take close to a year for them to attain this size, depending upon quality of care and their particular growth rates"

He could just be a species that doesn't actually reach the 4-5 inch size and so he grows less in a year than other varieties. Either way, at the size that he's at he would do fine in a 10 gallon. At the rate he is growing, he should be fine for quite some time even if he does eventually grow large. He looks kind of like these particular rabbit snails:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  13. Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

He does, thanks!! Huh, didn't realize he's only grown 1/4" in half a year lol, he was ~1/4" when I first got him. He actually came from Petco, they thought he was an MTS and I got him for free (woo!).
    I'll check those out more, and run that one through Google translate, lol

14. upinak Valued Member Member

He sure is pretty! Mine is just a yellow. I call him Harvey.