What kind of Pleco? Question

1. SmartStar Member Member

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of pleco this is?
    P+F.JPG
    I have a 29g and to be honest I'm not planning of re-homing him/her since I'm about to celebrate my 1 year with my fish tank and he/she is the only one that had survive, he was my husband choice and he/she's been with us trough many ups and downs, so we love him/her dearly. He/she hasn't grow much during this year maybe 1/2 inch or so. So hopefully no one tells me that I need to do so I will definitely be upset. It's just that we really love him/her specially my four yr old who call him "Swirmy". BTW how can you tell female or male?

2. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Nice looking fish youve got there. Looks like the Common Pleco which get up to a foot long.

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Aaaaaaactually, many get 18 or more inches, given the room ;) I believe it was Dena that posted a pic of a 3-footer at an aquarium....?

4. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I didn't want to scare the OP. lol

5. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm just tellin' how it is ;D

6. Sharkdude Well Known Member Member

I agree, common it is. Yeah I've heard them 34" in a pond, the biggest I've seen was 22" in a 55g and boy was it cramped.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

8. SmartStar Member Member

Ok, those are not good news, although I was expecting them! :( Now since I am not ready to let go of my Warrior yet, can anyone tell me up to how many inches is ok for him to be on my 29g tank? As of today he is 4 inches and had grow maybe an 1/2-1 inch in the past year. I just need to prepare my self, my boy and my husband for when the time comes. I didn't think it was going to be like this, just sad to think about it! :'(

9. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Just do it. You dont want the fish to be cramped, you want it to live a good life, start looking for someone with a pond imo. They are the happiest in ponds. You have id say maybe at the absolute most 6months. The bioload will over run the filter and the cycle will go wack, killing the fish. If you want you can build a pond, shoot for 300 gallons jmo. You dont want to bring truth to the term "love it to death". I have pulled 3 footers out of a lake behind me.

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Although they grow slow, his waste is going to keep throwing off the parimeters of the tank. Maybe you can get a bigger tank? Otherwise, id rehome him within the next year.
    Lets try to remember some members love their fish and to "just do it" isnt as easy to everyone.

11. SmartStar Member Member

Thanks Shawnie, I will look for a better place for him and as soon as I find it I will rehome him :(. Soltarianknight, I do understand you comment the fastest the better, now I will start talking to my 4yr old and explain to him that he needs more, more, more space to be happy, hopefully I can find a place were his able to visit him. ;)

12. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I explained my phrase well i thought?

13. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you for doing the right thing.

This is actually the perfect opportunity to teach your child, even at the age of 4, that you can't always have what you want and that the well-being of the fish needs to come above your desire to keep it.

14. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

You can rehome him and pickup a Bristlenose Pleco. One of those would be perfect for your size tank.

:)