What Kind Of Pleco Is This?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Sophia, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Sophia

Sophia New Member Member

I bought this pleco a couple months ago but I'm not sure what kind it is. The person at the fish store told me it was a catfish but shortly after I realized it wasn't.

Attached Files:

2. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Dang for a second I thought I looked like a banjo catfish but yeah, in second look looks like a pleco. No idea off the top of my head but now I'm curious to know. He's cool looking. Is he as flat as he looks or is that a camera angle thing?

3. OP
    OP
    Sophia

Sophia New Member Member

He's pretty flat and not very big he's long but skinny.

4. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

Whiptail cat

Attached Files:

5. 2211Nighthawk

YES! I knew I'd seen something like that before!! Oh cool.

6. OP
    OP
    Sophia

Sophia New Member Member

Oh wow I totally thought it was a pleco! Definitely a cool catfish though thank you so much for your help!:)

7. 2211Nighthawk

Just remembered my store has one. I'd been drooling to get it but I'm moving in two days and I'm converting my tank to cold water. And my parents *cough* landlords *cough* will kill me if I keep the 45 up.

8. OP
    OP
    Sophia

Sophia New Member Member

It's such a great fish he never hides and cleans the tank pretty well. I would definitely recommend getting it if you found a way:)

9. 2211Nighthawk

Ooooh don't tell me that... I made the pet store people swear not to smell me anything until I moved... they got an arrowana (how ever you spell it. Those three foot long behemoths with the big mouth) in and all I could think of was dang it's a good thing it doesn't fit in a 45. :)

10. OP
    OP
    Sophia

Sophia New Member Member

I get that I had to move my tank recently and it was hard seeing fish I wanted to buy but I had to wait

11. 2211Nighthawk

Yeah. I have to move a 60 gallon though. Fun...

12. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Whiptails are a kind of Pleco. Just very long, skinny ones. There are a number of species, identifying them requires expertise like one would find at Planetcatfish.

13. 2211Nighthawk

Really? I thought the "official" name was whiptail catfish.

14. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

The trade name in whiptail catfish, the scientific name is most likely Rineloricaria parva. There are around 60 types in this group of catfish.

15. 2211Nighthawk

Cool. Learnt something new today. :)

16. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Whiptails are Loricariid catfish, which is the family that Plecos belong to. Unidentified Whiptails are given L- or LDA- numbers, just like Plecos. I think 60 would be a very conservative estimate as to the number of species that are grouped as Whiptails.

Rineloricaria parva was used as a catch all for whiptails in the old days, as they did not realize how many species there actually were. Also, PlanetCatfish lists R. parva as a synonym for Hemiloricaria parva, though the Calacademy Catalog of Fishes still has as R. parva the valid name. Not relevant, as the fish in the photo above is definitely not that species. Oddly enough, that is one that is relatively identifiable, but very rarely seen. Narrowing down exactly which species the fish in the original post might be can be very difficult, pretty much impossible for hobbyists unless it is purchased as a given species to begin with.

17. 2211Nighthawk

... and ALL those names just went over my head. :) doesn't surprise me that "whiptail" is almost like an umbrella name. Kinda like "pleco" covers dang near everything that looks anything like the "classic pleco".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice