What kind of Pleco is it and why does it have a red spot on its belly?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by bluesky2111, Jul 3, 2016.

1. b

bluesky2111 Valued Member Member

Just bought him at petsmart. They sold him as a Bristlenose pleco, but when I got home I realized he didn't have the spiky heads like the others. He's about 1.5in long.

One more thing, I noticed there's a red spot on his belly. Could it be some kind of injury or something else? He's still very active and healthy though.

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fettuccini

Fettuccini Well Known Member Member

It's a bristlenose, most likely. They don't develop the bristles until they get a bit older, and the females often don't get them at all.

3. T

Teishokue Well Known Member Member

injury

4. TripleChrome

TripleChrome New Member Member

Red spot looks to be an injury. I have had my Blue Wag Platy jump out of the bucket I put fish in when I do water changes and he got a red spot on him. It will get better on your pleco. My platy who got an injury, the red spot went away within a week. And it is a BN pleco from what I can tell. That one is still pretty young, though, so it is not all that easy to tell. I have mostly seen BN's in albino, but someone can correct me if there are other albino plecos.

5. OP
    OP
    b

bluesky2111 Valued Member Member

Thank you very much, that's a relieve. Hopefully it's just an injury. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice