What kind of pleco do I have?

Looks like it could be a L 135 (Rio Negro Pleco). Not positive tho... Ill keep digging.

EDIT: L015 (Candy Stripe Pleco) looks more similar than the Rio Negro. I have found that they are sometimes referred to as the same but I think that's a mistake.

The link isn't working for me.

MysteryPleco.JPG

Sorry it's kind of blown up... and sideways. He's actually sucking on the side of the glass.

If he IS a Candy Striped Pleco, is the 29 gallon he's living in (the only tank I have, and likely the biggest I'll have for many more years) big enough for him?

EDIT: Ninja'd!

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is, it gets about 4 inches for a max size. How is your other stocking? For space it should be fine, but plecos are big waste producers, so that would take up bioload room that would reduce the amount of other fish you could have..

In a 29 id keep himwith low bios like alink said. Small tetras, or smallish barbs. They have low waste impact.shrimp would work too.

we need to make some scoring system for this. Each fish needs a letter grade for space needed for swimming, bio waste, and territorial space

Right now, a school of 6 Cardinal Tetras, which I'm planning to up to around 9-11. I'm also planning a small corydoras school (6), and maaaaybe a honey gourami.

With sufficient filtration, I think that would be fine.

In a 29 id keep himwith low bios like alink said. Small tetras, or smallish barbs. They have low waste impact.shrimp would work too.

we need to make some scoring system for this. Each fish needs a letter grade for space needed for swimming, bio waste, and territorial space

LOL! I been trying to think of a way to do that but there's just too many variables!!

I was just worried there for a while that he didn't look like a BN (for good reason), and that he was one of those plecos that turns out to get two feet long.

I was just worried there for a while that he didn't look like a BN (for good reason), and that he was one of those plecos that turns out to get two feet long.

Idk, but I think a cross of that with a Bristlenose would look sweet! Especially if the stripes go through the bristles!

A reason to get a huge tank

A huge tank is someday in my future probably. But for now, I'm a college student who is only home on weekends during the school year, and I only have the time and energy for one medium sized tank.

He looks like a big band tiger pleco, Beautiful fish btw.

"I am not what has happened to me, I am who I choose to become"
"Only God Can Judge Me"

It's a Common. It looks nothing like a Candy Stripe. It's way too big, isn't grey and white striped, is the wrong shape, and the fins are wrong. The blotchiness is stress markings because it can't blend in with the substrate.

Probably a gibbiceps.

Last edited:
He said in the first post that he got it 3 years ago. Based on that alone I figured it had to be a smaller pleco which would rule out the commons..

I'm starting to doubt it's a common myself now. But it's definitely not a candy stripe. can you get a picture with it's fin up, or count the dorsal rays?

Honestly, I'm surprised that I got these pictures at all. He doesn't usually come out during the day, and almost never has his fin up. I'll watch him tomorrow when I get home from work and see if I can get one... or if I can count the rays. He HAS been a lot more active since I changed the gravel substrate out for sand and made his cave a little bigger.

Okay so I have done a few hours of research on this and I will agree that its not a candy stripe as the stripes are all wrong, so is the face and eyes.

I found this and I may be onto something. What if its a female Calico Bristlenose? That would account for the no bristles and being told its a bristlenose.. Coloring would be very close and the stripes are just the markings this fish has?

I have looks at thousands of pictures of plecos and can't find anything matches it exactly.

Latest threads

Top Bottom