What kind of pleco do I have?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Firefly's Love, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Firefly's Love

Firefly's Love Valued Member Member

I was told when I got him, three years ago, that Peter was a bristlenose pleco. Of course, I'm not at all sure that was accurate.

2. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Looks like it could be a L 135 (Rio Negro Pleco). Not positive tho... Ill keep digging.

EDIT: L015 (Candy Stripe Pleco) looks more similar than the Rio Negro. I have found that they are sometimes referred to as the same but I think thats a mistake.

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

The link isn't working for me.

4. alink

MysteryPleco.JPG

5. OP
    OP
    Firefly's Love

[​IMG]

Sorry it's kind of blown up... and sideways. He's actually sucking on the side of the glass.

If he IS a Candy Striped Pleco, is the 29 gallon he's living in (the only tank I have, and likely the biggest I'll have for many more years) big enough for him?

EDIT: Ninja'd!

6. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Not sure what he is, definitely not a bristle nose though. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. alink

If it is, it gets about 4 inches for a max size. How is your other stocking? For space it should be fine, but plecos are big waste producers, so that would take up bioload room that would reduce the amount of other fish you could have..

8. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

I second the candy stripe

9. Anders247

Looks like candy stripe to me as well, +3

10. OP
    OP
    Firefly's Love

Right now, a school of 6 Cardinal Tetras, which I'm planning to up to around 9-11. I'm also planning a small corydoras school (6), and maaaaybe a honey gourami.

11. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

In a 29 id keep himwith low bios like alink said. Small tetras, or smallish barbs. They have low waste impact.shrimp would work too.

we need to make some scoring system for this. Each fish needs a letter grade for space needed for swimming, bio waste, and territorial space

12. alink

With sufficient filtration, I think that would be fine.

LOL! I been trying to think of a way to do that but theres just too many variables!!

13. I keep fish

I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Since we are so good at adding :) +4 on that candy stripe.

14. OP
    OP
    Firefly's Love

I was just worried there for a while that he didn't look like a BN (for good reason), and that he was one of those plecos that turns out to get two feet long.

15. Anders247

Well, good he's not. :)

16. I keep fish

I keep fish Well Known Member Member

A reason to get a huge tank :;rocker

17. alink

Idk, but I think a cross of that with a Bristlenose would look sweet! Especially if the stripes go through the bristles!

18. OP
    OP
    Firefly's Love

A huge tank is someday in my future probably. But for now, I'm a college student who is only home on weekends during the school year, and I only have the time and energy for one medium sized tank.

19. T

Thefishgeek33 Valued Member Member

He looks like a big band tiger pleco, Beautiful fish btw.

"I am not what has happened to me, I am who I choose to become"
    "Only God Can Judge Me"

20. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

It's a Common. It looks nothing like a Candy Stripe. It's way too big, isn't grey and white striped, is the wrong shape, and the fins are wrong. The blotchiness is stress markings because it can't blend in with the substrate.

Probably a gibbiceps.

:)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice