What kind of pleco do I have?

alink

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Looks like it could be a L 135 (Rio Negro Pleco). Not positive tho... Ill keep digging.

EDIT: L015 (Candy Stripe Pleco) looks more similar than the Rio Negro. I have found that they are sometimes referred to as the same but I think that's a mistake.

OP
Firefly's Love

Firefly's Love

Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Sorry it's kind of blown up... and sideways. He's actually sucking on the side of the glass.

If he IS a Candy Striped Pleco, is the 29 gallon he's living in (the only tank I have, and likely the biggest I'll have for many more years) big enough for him?

EDIT: Ninja'd!

Bijou88

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not sure what he is, definitely not a bristle nose though. ..

alink

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If it is, it gets about 4 inches for a max size. How is your other stocking? For space it should be fine, but plecos are big waste producers, so that would take up bioload room that would reduce the amount of other fish you could have..

Plecomaker

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In a 29 id keep himwith low bios like alink said. Small tetras, or smallish barbs. They have low waste impact.shrimp would work too.

we need to make some scoring system for this. Each fish needs a letter grade for space needed for swimming, bio waste, and territorial space

alink

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Firefly's Love said:
Right now, a school of 6 Cardinal Tetras, which I'm planning to up to around 9-11. I'm also planning a small corydoras school (6), and maaaaybe a honey gourami.
With sufficient filtration, I think that would be fine.

Plecomaker said:
In a 29 id keep himwith low bios like alink said. Small tetras, or smallish barbs. They have low waste impact.shrimp would work too.

we need to make some scoring system for this. Each fish needs a letter grade for space needed for swimming, bio waste, and territorial space
LOL! I been trying to think of a way to do that but there's just too many variables!!

OP
Firefly's Love

Firefly's Love

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was just worried there for a while that he didn't look like a BN (for good reason), and that he was one of those plecos that turns out to get two feet long.

I keep fish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Firefly's Love said:
I was just worried there for a while that he didn't look like a BN (for good reason), and that he was one of those plecos that turns out to get two feet long.
A reason to get a huge tank

alink

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Firefly's Love said:

Idk, but I think a cross of that with a Bristlenose would look sweet! Especially if the stripes go through the bristles!

OP
Firefly's Love

Firefly's Love

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I keep fish said:
A reason to get a huge tank
A huge tank is someday in my future probably. But for now, I'm a college student who is only home on weekends during the school year, and I only have the time and energy for one medium sized tank.

Thefishgeek33

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
He looks like a big band tiger pleco, Beautiful fish btw.

"I am not what has happened to me, I am who I choose to become"
"Only God Can Judge Me"

hampalong

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's a Common. It looks nothing like a Candy Stripe. It's way too big, isn't grey and white striped, is the wrong shape, and the fins are wrong. The blotchiness is stress markings because it can't blend in with the substrate.

Probably a gibbiceps.

New Threads