What kind of pleco and how many?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by bkaiser3, Jun 24, 2016.

1. bkaiser3Well Known MemberMember

So im starting to get some algae on the glass, im going to start having the light on less but i would like to add a pleco to help.
    My temp is constant 79-80. I have my angel, chocolate cichlid, rainbow, green severum, gold gourami, blue acara and a german ram. I had 2 one has gone missing and im really thinking something ate it because i cant find it. Also have the corys. What are my options.

The tank is a 125 gallon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2016
  2. Airth

AirthValued MemberMember

Bristlenose plecos are always a nice addition. I'd only go with one no matter which type you go with. While not too big, BNs still produce a lot of waste. One shouldn't have any problem cleaning your tank (depending on the size it is when you get it). If you get more than one, there's the possibility of mild territorial aggression. My BN occasionally gets after my rainbow shark and pictus if they're in a place where he wants to sit.

3. OP
    OP
    b

bkaiser3Well Known MemberMember

How big of one should i start with?

4. Airth

AirthValued MemberMember

I'd look for one that's maybe 2 inches or larger in size. I like to look for the bigger ones also because you can usually see bristles starting to form. That's a surefire way to make sure you're not being sold a common pleco which gets huge.

5. OP
    OP
    b

Cool thank you.

6. Airth

AirthValued MemberMember

No problem. =)

7. OP
    OP
    b

Picked this guy up today.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  8. Airth

AirthValued MemberMember

Looks like a young albino BN. =) Nice.

9. OP
    OP
    b

Yes, she matches my albino corys. She is about 3-4 inches

10. OP
    OP
    b

Since i put her in the tank she has hid in one of the decorations and hasnt come out. Is this normal?

11. Airth

AirthValued MemberMember

I wouldn't worry too much about her hiding. Depending on her personality, your BN may prefer to be out during the night more than the day. She's also still adjusting and may be a shy one.

After you turn out the lights this evening, try seeing I she comes out. =)

12. Plecomaker

PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

friendly advice: you can have more then 1, just not multiple males. Females are less aggressive in most situations. I have a 55 with 3 adults and 1 juvie with no aggression issues.

13. Airth

AirthValued MemberMember

Thank you for the correction Plecomaker. =) Never had a female so was going off of experience with males.

14. Plecomaker

PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, the males are grouchy. Ive heard of them searching for and eating eac others eggs.

15. OP
    OP
    b

Good to know, my lfs has 2 more females!

16. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

If they are all females you could do all three. Just make sure to have real driftwood in the tank for them to rasp on and some hiding places for them. In any case to takes them a few days to get comfy in the tank. Is the one you have a male or female as you called him a guy? Alison:;hi1

17. OP
    OP
    b

Its a female. I did not know to have real driftwood though. I have never used driftwood. Dont you have to soak it first?

18. Sarah73

Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

Yup! You do. Unless you want tannis in your tank:)

19. OP
    OP
    b

Should i use tank water? Ive heard to soak it for up to 2 weeks.

20. Sarah73

Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

You don't need to(at least I didn't use tank water for mine). You should soak it until the water in the bucket it crystal clear. If you want to make it go by faster, scrub the driftwood with a non used tooth brush(brand new one).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice