What Kind Of Otos Do I Have?

Fredward

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bought three otos from petsmart (pretty much the only option near where I live outside of Walmart) about a month ago for my 5.5 gallon (I know, I know, too small. My 55 had an eel that would have made a snack of them and the 20 tall had an unfortunate ich problem). Unfortunately two of the little troopers died in week one and two. Sad but at least I got my refund. Otos are social fish so I decided to get him some friends (and also upgrade him to my 20 tall, after I was sure I had killed off all of the ich). It took a few weeks for my LFS to get them in stock but lo and behold I managed to arrive just as they were getting a new shipment of fish, otos among them and brought 5 home.

But this morning, after letting the little guys settle in I noticed one little problem - most of these otos did not look alike. Three of them are about half the size of my og oto so I wondered it might be because they're juveniles and of the two adults one looked exactly like my og oto. Then I noticed the second adult (or oto that was close in size to the og oto, anyway) also looked way different. The new otos (minus 1) all have a lighter speckled patterning and, if I'm seeing it right, a slightly upturned nose. They're also slimmer but I'm putting that down to malnutrition (I'm in the process of fattening them up on repashy). I'm not particularly worried unless of course there could be problems in the future having these otos school together.

All the otos were listed as macrotocinclus affinis.

Fredward

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
20180428_073412.jpg
20180428_073300.jpg
20180428_073054.jpg
20180428_073035.jpg

Here are some pics for comparison. The first two are the the biggest mystery Oto and the last two are of my original Oto (one with a juvenile mystery Oto in the background)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom