what kind of loach would be good with firemouth cichlids

dlewin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ok I am getting some trumpet snails and they breed like crazy. So I want something to eat them. I read that loaches eat snails but I have a 29 gallon tank. I need a small loach that will get along with my firemouths. When the snails get to much I will just drop them in the tank with the loach. The snails are to clean my guppy tank that is a 30 gallon. and my 10 gallon guppy fry tank. I had to many guppies so I got two fire mouths to eat the fry. So I am going to do the same thing with the snails. to let you know I will be upgrading to a 70 gallon tank with in the next month or so.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't have the answer to your question, Dee, but you should really document this.

It reminds me of a children's story-the one with the elephants and then the townspeople brought in mice, and then cats, and then dogs...and I forget the rest.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your not over feeding the snails shouldn't over populate Due to the way Trumpet snails are shaped loaches don't seem to eat them much.
I personally wouldn't recommend loaches as a tank mate with your Firemouth. Firemouths can be aggressive of over territory and loaches are so curious they would stay in trouble all the time. They just don't recognize anybody else's territory.
carol

dlewin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
will the snails be ok with the firemouths or will my firemouths eat them. I want to know before I put them in the tank. I also have a pleco in the firemouth tank will he harm the snails.

dlewin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well I got a bigger tank so I got 4 clown loaches for the tank. its a 50 gallon long tank I think it might be a 55 gallon. its about 5 feet long. heres a picture of two of them and my firemouths are genital fish. They don't seem to big any of the other fish. They have there own spot in the tank and just bluff them off it they come near it. Firemouths get a bad rap for being aggressive my angelfish is more aggressive then these guys.

703.jpg

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The snails over populating shouldn't be a problem as long as there isn't an over feeding problem. I think you should just do water changes instead of getting snails to do your work for you.

If you are still thinking about a bottom dweller.. Cories work. Firemouths aren't as aggressive as people say they are. It really depends on the fish.

dlewin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well to tell you the truth I like the snails and I do not see them as a pest. As they keep my tanks nice and clean. I got the clown loaches because I like the fish and I will get a bigger tank when they out grow this one. I will most likely sell the snails if they get to be to much but I only feed my fish once a day so it should not be a problem. they are there to eat the algae. I liked snails from when I was a child I would collect them and have snail races. the loaches are just barley 2 inches right now and should do well in the long tank until I can get a larger one. There are no snails in the tank were the loaches are I might pick up some mystery snails when they get bigger to eat and some ghost shrimp. I will keep the ghost shrimp and the mystery snails in a ten gallon until I know they are healthy. right now I have freeze dried blood worms and tubifix worms for them to eat.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom