What kind of loach is this?

Algae Eater

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They were labeled as zebra loaches, botia striata, but I'm not convinced. They DO have stripes but not zebra stripes and their bodies soom longer than a zebra. I guess they are just pale from stress but the smallest has pale stripes. The larger ones are about 2 inches and the smaller one is about 1 1/4 inches.

Attachments

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They look nothing like what I know as Zebra Loaches (Botia Striata). Looks more like a Salween Hillstream Loach (Schistura Mahnerti) to me. Sometimes they are called Red Tailed Zebra Loach.

Last edited:

Algae Eater

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They definitely look more like that than a botia striata, but they don't have red tails. Well, maybe it will be easier to tell when they color up some.

Algae Eater

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the suggestion. I still have no idea what they are. I only see them at feeding time and they don't sit still long enough to get a good look at them (or a picture). Every suggestion looks close but I'm never sure because the pictures of the suggestions show dark markings but mine have faded markings. Maybe they're just not the best specimens of their species or they don't eat well enough for their colors to come out...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom