Experience
Just started
He was sold as a kuhli.
4A609802-4808-445B-BEE4-63B4608FEC1D.jpeg
at all.

DIYbetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
His body looks like a kuhli, but his colors are odd. Maybe he’s a different color variety? Idk. He’s cute though.

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I thought he was cute too! I got the only two that the lfs had and they are both pink. I know they want to be in bigger groups, and I thought it would be easy to find more, but I can’t find a single loach within driving distance of me.

A store that I really trust said they don’t carry them because they come in with bacterial infections so now I have two lonely loaches of unknown type! I’m going to look online to see if I can find them some tank mates.

skar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It does appear like a khulie, I have a few black khulies that appear the same.

Not sure on the exact species .

DIYbetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Kuhlis are generally piece ful to other fish ( not snails or shrimp) if you want more color a betta might look nice.

AngryRainbow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It is a "black kuhli" or "java loach" or any of the other common names for Pangio oblonga

tropicalpleco

Reaction score
That is a rope fish or reef fish i have 6 of them in my 75 gallon they are very peaceful and get along great with all kinds of fish. you should keep the temp around 76 f. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

best of luck

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hes definitely a java loach (pangio oblonga), often sold as "black kuhli" loaches. I got a couple too. Theyre cuties. Same care as regular kuhlis needed and will mix with them if he doesnt have more of his own around.

20190816_181928.jpg

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks everyone. I have them in with my new betta in a my 20 gallon.

I’ll stay on hunt for a few more.

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow, $30 for shipping plus a $10 box charge! Think I’ll call the lfs to see if they’re getting more in soon.

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Found a source here in Florida and have some tank mates ordered.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
lisa99 said:
Found a source here in Florida and have some tank mates ordered.
Awesome!! Id love to see photos when you get them! Loaches are awesome fish! Always good to have more of them

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They were out of Kuhli so I got goldens. I’ll post pics when they come in. I also ordered a calico BN pleco :)

AngryRainbow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
lisa99 said:
They were out of Kuhli so I got goldens. I’ll post pics when they come in. I also ordered a calico BN pleco :)
I'm not familiar with "golden loaches". Do you mean golden dojo loach? Those are quite different than your kuhlis

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
AngryRainbow said:
I'm not familiar with "golden loaches". Do you mean golden dojo loach? Those are quite different than your kuhlis
Yeah if theyre golden dojos, id cancel that order. They need a much, much larger tank as they can get up to a foot long and need colder water than kuhlis do. Theyre not the same species and wont group together.

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank goodness ya’ll asked the question! I’m such a noob at this I didn’t realize it could get so much bigger. I double checked and it’s definitely a gold dojo loach.

Still on the hunt for Kuhli

ap4lmtree

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I like black kuhli loaches / java loaches more than kuhli loaches. I have about 9 kuhli loaches, but I never see them. They always hide. I have 11 java loaches. Every other day, I see them in groups glass surfing though. I highly recommend java loaches instead of kuhli loaches. For instance, if you have my same luck with similar tank setup, then prepare to buy a fish, kuhli loaches, that you will never see.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom