What Kind Of Live Food Can I Feed Them?

FishSmart

Member
Hello, I’ve been kinda getting tired of just feeding fish food flakes and pellets and I was wondering if there was anything more exciting to feed my fishes. Here’s what I got:

1 dwarf GouramI
1 Bolivian ram
1 German blue ram
7 guppies
10 neon tetras
Bristle nose algae eater

More information:

Tank is cycled, and is 29 gallon
I was looking forward to maybe live feedings, or meat and some veggies. Any suggestions?!
 

sloughdog

Member
Mosquito larvae is an option. Place a shallow pan or bowl outside (grassy areas work really well) and after a few days there will be little squiggly bugs. Scoop some out and let them out, rinse in dechlorinated water and let loose in your tank. I’ve never had them turn into mosquitos in my tanks. The fish find them pretty quickly.

Midge larvae (bloodworms) can be collected from stream, pond, or lake sediment too. Easy to spot as they are bright red. Find an area with leaf litter air soft bottom and they should be there.

There are also cultures such as brine shrimp and other critters you can buy to feed as live food.
 
  • Thread Starter

FishSmart

Member
sloughdog said:
Mosquito larvae is an option. Place a shallow pan or bowl outside (grassy areas work really well) and after a few days there will be little squiggly bugs. Scoop some out and let them out, rinse in dechlorinated water and let loose in your tank. I’ve never had them turn into mosquitos in my tanks. The fish find them pretty quickly.

Midge larvae (bloodworms) can be collected from stream, pond, or lake sediment too. Easy to spot as they are bright red. Find an area with leaf litter air soft bottom and they should be there.

There are also cultures such as brine shrimp and other critters you can buy to feed as live food.
I think I’ll go with the brine shrimp, do you know any good brands? Can you look on amazon for me please, if you do may you go under prime as well?

Also should I get eggs or baby brine shrimp?!
 

sloughdog

Member
First place I would check is the “buy, sell, trade” section on here. I’ve never bought them on amazon.
 

AquaticJ

Member
FishSmart said:
I think I’ll go with the brine shrimp, do you know any good brands? Can you look on amazon for me please, if you do may you go under prime as well?

Also should I get eggs or baby brine shrimp?!
Buying live brine shrimp online would probably be really pricey, and the eggs need salt water, a heater, and a bubbler to hatch. Why not try frozen food? It’d be much cheaper and you’d be able to get a better variety with easier access.
 
  • Thread Starter

FishSmart

Member
AquaticJ said:
Buying live brine shrimp online would probably be really pricey, and the eggs need salt water, a heater, and a bubbler to hatch. Why not try frozen food? It’d be much cheaper and you’d be able to get a better variety with easier access.
I have, Ive tried Omega one freeze dried brine shrimp.. is that the same as frozen?
 

maggie thecat

Member
Freeze dried and frozen aren't the same. One is dehydrated , and one isn't. Frozen is closer to the natural state, and less likely to cause bloating or gastric distress. Frozen food is available at most LFS. You can get all sorts.
 
  • Thread Starter

FishSmart

Member
maggie thecat said:
Freeze dried and frozen aren't the same. One is dehydrated , and one isn't. Frozen is closer to the natural state, and less likely to cause bloating or gastric distress. Frozen food is available at most LFS. You can get all sorts.
Okay thanks you!
 

SFGiantsGuy

Member
Frozen's great stuff, no matter what. Pretty much ALL fish LOVE brine shrimp. : ) Although do be strongly advised: When "capturing" wild, live foods, some may carry deadly, potentially problematic pathogens...
 
  • Thread Starter

FishSmart

Member
SFGiantsGuy said:
Frozen's great stuff, no matter what. Pretty much ALL fish LOVE brine shrimp. : ) Although do be strongly advised: When "capturing" wild, live foods, some may carry deadly, potentially problematic pathogens...
The thing is I don’t know where to begin with brine shrimp! Where should I start!?
 

AquaticJ

Member
Blood worms are my personal go to. I've never had a fish turn them down.
 

SFGiantsGuy

Member
Yeah me too! Only feed those once a week though. Frozen food rules... (and Repashy does too fo course!)
 

Dch48

Member
Just get some frozen brine shrimp. Be careful not to put too much in the tank though and always defrost it in a little tank water first. Live wingless fruit flies are also good and you can get a small vial of them at PetSmart. My Betta loves them. He viciously attacks them as soon as they hit the water. They come with a food source in the vial. Just make sure to leave 4 or 5 adults at all times. They will lay eggs and in no time, you'll have about 30 more.

You can also get frozen bloodworms or freeze dried ones.
 

AquaticJ

Member
Don't ever use beef heart, it's a popular one. However, hearts are muscles, and fish don't digest them very easily.
 

Dch48

Member
AquaticJ said:
Don't ever use beef heart, it's a popular one. However, hearts are muscles, and fish don't digest them very easily.
Except for Oscars. they readily eat any kind of meat and even dog food and thrive on it.
 

AquaticJ

Member
I can assure you, dog food should never be given to a fish.
 

75g Discus Tank

Member
Try daphnia. Frozen or live are fine. They are 50% protein and ca;help with digestion problems.


Another favorite at my house are scuds. They are in almost every body of water and they are easy to grow colonies with.


Try not to feed live bloodworms, unless you grow them in your own environment(disease prevention). Frozen are fantastic though!


Culled shrimp are good too. If you have a shrimp colony and you don’t want a cull tank, feed them to the fish.
 

Dch48

Member
AquaticJ said:
I can assure you, dog food should never be given to a fish.
My brother had 2 Oscars in a 55 gallon tank and sometimes fed them small balls of dog food from his hand. It never harmed them at all. I wouldn't do it with any other kind of fish but Oscars are different. They also ate small pieces of beef from time to time and once in a while, a feeder fish or 2.
 

Dch48

Member
I can't get daphnia in any form here. The only fish places are PetSmart and Walmart and neither one has any. There are no small LFS's here. There used to be but they all have closed. Probably because of PetSmart.
 
  • Thread Starter

FishSmart

Member
75g Discus Tank said:
Try daphnia. Frozen or live are fine. They are 50% protein and ca;help with digestion problems.


Another favorite at my house are scuds. They are in almost every body of water and they are easy to grow colonies with.


Try not to feed live bloodworms, unless you grow them in your own environment(disease prevention). Frozen are fantastic though!


Culled shrimp are good too. If you have a shrimp colony and you don’t want a cull tank, feed them to the fish.
Can you send me a link to buy some live daphina? The thing is where do I keep the to keep them alive for a good while?!
 

75g Discus Tank

Member
I collect mine from my filter pond. They are found in almost any body of water.
 

Most photos and links are disabled if you are not logged into the forum.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom