What kind of lighting do I need for an anemone?

teddybear22482

Reaction score
I'm starting my first saltwater tank and in a few months may put in an anemone...What kind of lighting should I get. I have absolutely no clue what all those differt letters mean by the names of the lights....lol. Or what they mean.I really need someone to give me a specific brand or number to get or Ill just get lost again...lol. I'm a true dark brunette but sometimes I can make you wonder...

Mike

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI teddyb - what specific kind of anemone are you wanting to get? Generally speaking, lower light anemones (E. quadricolor) need at least 5 watts per gallon preferrably more. Some species need even more lighting (metal halide lights).

Mike

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I should preface this by saying that I would try to talk you out of getting any anemone until your tank is well established for like 6 months or more with the metal halide lighting being a must have. The bubble tip (E. quadricolor) is one of the less demanding anemones but given the poor survivability of most anemones in home tanks I wouldn't recommend even them to anyone unless the tank is well established and they have the metal halides.

Clownfish live just fine and even spawn without a host anemone. If you get metal halides (maybe even power compact lighting for the E. quadricolor) then maybe 6 months down the road you'd be ok getting an anemone.

New Threads