What kind of light do I need?

fishfry70

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 20 gallon (high) with several java ferns. When I bought the plants I was told they needed very little light, but that doesn't seem to be true. They aren't growing and one plant died. So the obvious solution is to buy lights for my aquarium.
My question is, what kind of lights will grow plants?
Someone told me that T5 HO lights would be good but they're a bit out of my price range.

ivarnarik

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi Fishfry,
Java ferns don't need much light to grow. I've had them thriving for almost a year on low light. They are very slow growing plants and you will not see growth atleast in the firat few weeks.
I've had white (daylight) LED lights in my tank. I basically got waterproof LED strip lights and a DC adapter from Amazon for 15 bucks and stuck them to the roof of the tank with DUCT tape and a bit of aquarium safe Silicone adhesive that you can get from any Home Depot or Lowes. I also used a mechanical timer so they switched off every 12 hours.

Here's the link :

Hope this helps.

fishfry70

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've had the plants for almost a year and if anything they've lost size. (they aren't as thick as they used to be.

Ohiotank

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are currently lightly buried in gravel. I have never used any fertilizers.
If the rhizome is buried it will not live, java fern are best anchored to something above the substrate, or in my case I jets let it sit on top of the substrate, I am heavily planted so it doesn't float around. I don't think lighting is your issue with this species. As stated above all plants like a little fertilizer once in a while. Make sure that rhizome is above the substrate!!!!!!

thefishdude277

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can use super glue (just make sure it's pure cynocrylate) and glue it on a rock or driftwood
As for fertilizer, use liquid fertilizer. The way I do fertilize my plants with liquid fert is to get a spray bottle(unused) and fill it with water and the appropriate amount of fert and squirt directly on the leaves.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom