What kind of Guppy is this?

lobobrandon

Reaction score
A week or so ago I bought myself some guppies. I bought pairs of 2 different kinds. One of them was an endler pair, or so I thought. The male is definitely an Endler, but the female that was marked in the store as a female Endler is different from the image of the female Endler on their website and it is also different from the plain grey Endler images I see online. The store is also supposed to have Koi guppies and I'm wondering if this one is a female coy guppy by any chance?

This is the other male that I bought and a corresponding female. The male endler hangs out with these two and the female (the one I need help with) is mostly a loner. I'm heading to the store tomorrow to buy some corys and I was wondering if I should get another of this kind of female guppy just in case it is not really a loner but a different kind that needs the company of its own.

On the left you see the male endler. The orange tailed, slightly orange faced guppy is the one I need help with. This is the Koi guppy (kind of but not exactly the same as mine imo) on the website of the store I bought from: The labels on the guppy tanks were all messed up when I visited the store.

20200528_200401.jpg

OP
lobobrandon

lobobrandon

Reaction score
e_watson09 said:
It looks like in the photo you have a type of endler or endler mix and a platy.
A platy, interesting. Do you think it's a mix between a Endler/guppy and a platy? Is that sort of hybrid possible? I'm wondering because I have not come across a platy that is greyish in the center. They have always been fully coloured or blackish regions in the center from what I've seen.

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
e_watson09 said:
It looks like in the photo you have a type of endler or endler mix and a platy.
I agree with e_watson09. The place u bought from seemed a little weird... Maybe cuz it's in German.

OP
lobobrandon

lobobrandon

Reaction score
FishGuy4563 said:
I agree with e_watson09. The place u bought from seemed a little weird... Maybe cuz it's in German.
Haha, hornbach is a German business, yes. If it is a platy, then I'd better get at least another tomorrow.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is a platy, it doesn't look like a hybrid to me you can have them alone they don't need a school. The endler could be a mix of guppy and endler, most pet store guppies/endlers are not pure regardless they're often a mix in terms of strains.

OP
lobobrandon

lobobrandon

Reaction score
e_watson09 said:
It is a platy, it doesn't look like a hybrid to me you can have them alone they don't need a school. The endler could be a mix of guppy and endler, most pet store guppies/endlers are not pure regardless they're often a mix in terms of strains.
I figured that there were chances they could be mixed, but I did not really worry about that because I would be mixing them in my tank anyway :) I like to see some random variations and I do not plan on selling. But the platy totally surprised me. I noticed that it was behaving differently, etc. and it is my favourite of the 4 that I bought. I did some Googling and was surprised that they come in different colours. Found a pic that matches the one I have: ended up being on a German site too. Probably some kind of German variety. Thanks for the information about the schooling etc. I will look around and maybe get a few more.

New Threads