What Kind Of Guppies Are These? Question

1. Tabicat1012

Tabicat1012 Initiate Member

Hi I just purchased 6 guppies from a LFS. It was a smaller store and all the fish were poorly labeled. I picked up these guys which were labeled ‘Japanese Fancy Guppies’ but when I went to find out more about them I couldn’t find much. Does anyone know what type of guppies these are? I also suspect I may have gotten all males but am really not sure. IMG_3235.JPG IMG_3237.JPG

2. Ulu

Ulu Well Known Member Member

I cannot name them for you but they certainly look to be chewing on each other's tails.

I would make sure their water is really clean and give them a mild dose of fin rot medicine.

Guppies were my first fish and it has been over 40 years since I have kept any but this is making me interested again.

3. GettinTanked

GettinTanked Member Member

The yellow guys look like your usual fancy guppies. The orange ones look like they've been hybridized with endlers livebearers. It happens.

4. OP
    OP
    Tabicat1012

Yes, as usual the tank at the LFS was overstocked and a lot of fun nipping was happening. I’m hopping that in my 40g they will do much better and their tails will grow back.

5. GettinTanked

GettinTanked Member Member

They do look pretty male-like, but it's hard to say. If they all start harassing one or two, that might be a clue that the ones being harassed are females. Hope you can remove the females before the high male ratio gets to be too much for them.

6. OP
    OP
    Tabicat1012

Thanks! I’ll keep an eye on them and separate any females.

7. Mina_A

Mina_A Initiate Member

I would say you have, two male cobra , and one male gold or even bronze. Then the other three are swordtail (don’t worry thier fins aren’t rotting it’s just the type of guppy) but I can’t tell if male or female.
    Hope this helps :)

8. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Lyretail is the term for the ones with the color in the edges of the fin but nothing between. They are not swords as swords are extensions to the tail.
    You have two cobra males (body and tail pattern wrong for leopards, plus cobra are common) and a metallic red which looks to be a lower quality platinum. You do noth vae any that are endler or otherwise crossed.
    All six are males, they have gonopodium which can be seen in your photos. (Rod shaped anal fin.)