What Kind Of Gar?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Browsing though Craigslist, because why not, and there's someone selling an alligator gar in a 55 for $60, and it's just sitting on the bottom and looks very unhealthy. I'm considering getting it, at least short term, and to try and find an acceptable home. I'm not sure I will, but can anyone identify the actual type of gar and it's care requirements?

Attachments

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No, he is going to be huge and unless you have 1000g if not more then I would suggest it.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank you, I was worried it was a true alligator gar, I've seen a 6ft one of those snorkeling before... that sucks, poor little fishy

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you, I was worried it was a true alligator gar, I've seen a 6ft one of those snorkeling before... that sucks, poor little fishy
yes, i have rescues and they not fun. they just lay there for the first month half the time.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
In that case, thank you for being able to rescue some fish, it's tough. And thank you for your advice

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Guess that's a good reason he's only being sold for $60...

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I really just need to stop looking at my Craigslist, someone was selling a 3 gallon tank that came with a yellow glofish (danio), a cichlid, and FOUR common goldfish! Not to mention some of the illegal stuff sold, eg silver arowana and terrapin turtles.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I really just need to stop looking at my Craigslist, someone was selling a 3 gallon tank that came with a yellow glofish (danio), a cichlid, and FOUR common goldfish! Not to mention some of the illegal stuff sold, eg silver arowana and terrapin turtles.
Arowana are not illegal, asian are, but most of those have to have documentation and licenses to make sure you can keep it. Silvers are not illegal.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh frik no I totally mean Asian arowanas, my bad I know silvers are legal.... actually I might be able to still find that post...
The terrapin are so very illegal though
Edit: found it

Attachments

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh frik no I totally mean Asian arowanas, my bad I know silvers are legal.... actually I might be able to still find that post...
The terrapin are so very illegal though
Edit: found it
I guess people are selling terrapins because they don't care about breaking a meaningless, petty law?

It appears to be a real alligator gar.

Going against what most say here i would buy the tank and the alligator gar. At least you can probably find it a better home where it can grow out at least some of its size before dying.

If you don't then it will likely die in a year of ammonia poisoning. Just saying lol.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I guess people are selling terrapins because they don't care about breaking a meaningless, petty law?

It appears to be a real alligator gar.

Going against what most say here i would buy the tank and the alligator gar. At least you can probably find it a better home where it can grow out at least some of its size before dying.

If you don't then it will likely die in a year of ammonia poisoning. Just saying lol.
Yeah, see I want to try and help, and it already looks in bad condition... I don't even know how to care for such large fish, I've only been keeping fish (correctly) for about a year! What are some good basic care for fish like this? I won't be able to take any in for probably three or four weeks, I have to move around and break down some quarantines and make some space.
Where do you live?

If you live in the US, you can take the gar and relocate it to the Ohio Fish Rescue.
I do actually! My main concern is not being able to find it a home. My issue now is I'm all the way down in Georgia, and I don't know how to transport it up there. I'm thinking road trip would be way too long, and I've never tried shipping fish, and I'm not sure I'd like to start with a large one... Do you know of any reputable rescues in the South?

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, see I want to try and help, and it already looks in bad condition... I don't even know how to care for such large fish, I've only been keeping fish (correctly) for about a year! What are some good basic care for fish like this? I won't be able to take any in for probably three or four weeks, I have to move around and break down some quarantines and make some space.

I do actually! My main concern is not being able to find it a home. My issue now is I'm all the way down in Georgia, and I don't know how to transport it up there. I'm thinking road trip would be way too long, and I've never tried shipping fish, and I'm not sure I'd like to start with a large one... Do you know of any reputable rescues in the South?
I started keeping large fish after just months of properly beginning this hobby. Its not much different than keeping small fish really. Just do lots more water changes, get the water tested more often and feed a varied meaty diet. Reading a care sheet for these online is all that's really needed.

Probably keep the tank bare bottom but put in caves, plastic plants and whatnot so the fish feels secure. An alligator gar i would keep in a bare bottom due to waste production.

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

I'm pretty sure we have a few here in Tennessee.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Great thank you! I'll do some more research, what I had previously turned up on alligator gar had been pretty nonspecific, so I appreciate the specific information. If it's still available once I get the space back, I may update this thread and make another more specific one... If it works out, he does seem to be in bad conditon...

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I may try contacting the Georgia aquarium, I know they have some alligator gar... do you think they might take it?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom