What Kind Of Gar Is This?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by JoeCamaro, Jun 17, 2018.

1. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

Today I was given two ten gallon tanks and one 20 gallon long for free along with 2 filters, a heater, air pump and water conditioner.
    The thing is that I had to also take 2 iridescent sharks and a gar. It was part of the deal. I will be rehoming them as I cannot care for them, but I'd like to know what kind of gar is thi.

e7fguc.jpg

Sorry for the bad photo. It was the best I could get.

The fish were not in the free tanks, the guy had a 100 gallon tank, but sold it, pending pick up, and the fish were there. The other person didn't want the fish.

I set up a 20g tall as a temporary tank.

Thanks

2. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Don’t know anything about the fish but you seem to have gotten a sweet deal on the tanks/equipment.

3. OP
    OP
    JoeCamaro

I agree :) I bought a 20 gallon long on Friday and was planning to get a 2nd one while they have the $1 a gallon sale at Pet Supplies Plus, but now I don't have to :)

Hope I find homes for the fish soon.

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I believe it is a Gar Characin, Ctenolucius hujeta. It can get close to a foot long, so you are probably right to rehome it.

5. OP
    OP
    JoeCamaro

Thank you so much. That helped a lot.
    I want the bedt for them.

6. OP
    OP
    JoeCamaro

These fish have been rehomed.

7. The Hun (Betta Girl)

The Hun (Betta Girl) New Member Member

Did you find out what it was? Cos it sure did look like an Arawana!
    Oh nevermind, I looked again and not so much now. How come you can't delete your own posts??

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  8. OP
    OP
    JoeCamaro

You can't delete it, but you can edit it.
    It was an hujeta gar.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice