Question What Kind Of Fish ?

Rocco04

Reaction score
IMG_2718.JPG

A friend of mine got this fish and we are at a loss of know which kind of fish it is ! If anyone has any idea of what it could possibly be please let me know !

Rocco04

Reaction score
A longfin GBR? I’m sorry I’m not up to date with the abbreviations haha. What is a longfin GBR?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hard to tell. That poor guy is hurting. May be a blue ram or a Bolivian ram. How big is it? What temp is the water. Blue rams like warmer water.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Long fin blue ram with some internal issue or very underfed ..
No clue on sex as longfins are just about impossible to sex .

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since there are no longfin Bolivians - yet - it's obviously Mikrogeophagus ramirezi. The longfin version of this species tends to be very sickly, probably because they mostly come from the far east, where the Rams are all raised in an antibiotic soup to allow overcrowding. This results in fish with no resistance to diseases when they are shipped off, but also damages their normal internal bacterial load. This prevents them from being able to process food correctly, and they can die from malnutrition even when well fed. That's why so many have sunken stomachs when purchased.

I would theorize that it may be possible to re-establish the digestive system by feeding live foods. Not sure which ones would work best, though.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom