What kind of fish should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samwuzhere

Reaction score
I have 4 serpae tetras and I plan to get more, 2 silver dollars (I've heard that they must be in a group of five or more, but they are doing fine and are healthy so don't worry about it), and 1 pleco in a 29 gallon tank. I have an under gravel filter and a filter that hangs on the back and I do water changes every other week.
I'm trying to make a south American biotope, but nowhere specific. I'm looking for some fish and some plants for it. does anyone know any good plants that will grow easily and are not hard to kill? And I'm looking for a fish that will be good for my tank. I'm looking for something that will swim in the middle to top part of the tank and that are easy to breed. I would prefer one that schools. Does anyone know any good fish that are common and somewhat cheap ($1-$5 each)?
If anyone has any ideas about how to make my tank look better too that would be great.
I would give a picture but idk how

Last edited:

Wildside

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, I'd get some more serape tetras and silver dollars. They are schooling fish and really need to be in groups of 6+, even if they look happy and comfortable, it's best for their well being. You could go for some dwarf cichlids such as cockatoos. Any idea what species your pleco is? Cause they can get really big.

As for plants, things such as amazon swords, some vallisnera are south African and relatively easy, although your pleco may munch on softer leaves like the swords.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Even the smallest species of Silver Dollar gets 4", and with their activity level they need nothing less than a 6 foot long tank. I'd get rid of those and double the Serpae school from 4 to 8. As for other fish to add, the possibilities are quite numerous. Find something you like and do the research on them before you buy.

annaberg1067

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What type of pleco?? The common ones get huge and need like ponds. I don't know much about silver dollars but the tetras need to be in schools so you should really get like 4 more of those. They will look so much prettier when they school together and both you and you fish will be happier

Samwuzhere

Reaction score
I have a common pleco, but I heard they grow kind of slowly so I'll figure out what to do with it when it outgrows the tank

Wildside

Valued Member
Reaction score
They don't grow slowly at all. Their growth will be stunted which can give you the impression that they get big slowly but if you put a pleco into a proper sized tank, he'll get huge in a matter of months. I remember reading a story of a guy whose fish got to a little over half a foot in under 6 months. The second issue is their waste load which is really too big for smaller tanks. You might want to swap him for a BN or clown pleco as they're smaller and better suited for aquariums of your size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom