What kind of fish is this?

Dave A44

Valued Member
Reaction score
For Easter my grandson bought me a fish. He said it was a Rosy Barb. For a while it was by itself then admitted into my 30 gallon community tank where it began to grow quite quickly. He 'seemed' to be getting along as a good tankmate and then suddenly ate one of my Platys whole! I noticed the Platy's tail sticking out of the mouth of the Rosy Barb.
I then removed the Barb to a 10 gallon tank by himself.
My question is:
Is this a Rosy Barb? He appears to me like a Red Tail Tinfoil Barb. From all the pictures I've looked at, he appears more like a Tinfoil than a Rosy.
Can anymore make a positive ID on this fish for me?

[imglink]https://www.fishlore.com/fishpicture/data/500/thumbs/My_Barb.jpg[/imglink]

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How big is it? In the pic it looks fairly pink, is it that pink in real life or is it more silver?

-Lisa

Dave A44

Valued Member
Reaction score
The lighting confuses my camera somewhat so it's hard to get fish pictures that are true to the actual colors we see. This fish is more silvery though, and that, coupled with his quick growth, are making me think he is a Tinfoil. He is now at least 3" long, from about 1-1/2" at Easter.
I just went and snapped another picture of him. This has somewhat more true to life color, but he is still a little more silver than this.

[imglink]https://www.fishlore.com/fishpicture/data/500/thumbs/Sonny_the_Barb.jpg[/imglink]

Dave A44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Good to know

Ok, thanks everyone. I'll treat him as a Red Tail Tinfoil then.
As such this guy can grow to monsterous size, over a foot I've heard. What will happen if he only has a 10 gallon tank?
Right now that's all I have extra are 10's. I plan to keep him alone, so I'm kind of thinking he might need a 20 gal. tank pretty soon as he grows. Does that sound about right?
Thanks for your help.

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sadly, to thrive, he will need atleast a 60G otherwise he will be stunted which could potentially weaken the fish.
Ideally a tinfoil barb should be kept with atleast 2 other tinfoils in a tank of atleast 80-90G in my opinion.

Dave A44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Wow, a 60G! Don't think I can accommodate this fish then. It's a bit of a dilemma since my grandson bought him for me. I hate to just give him up. (I can return him to my LFS), so that looks like what I'll need to do. Perhaps if I buy another in his place, my grandson will understand. I only get to see my grandson a couple times a year because they live 500 miles away. They, (my son, his wife, and my other three grandchildren), were here for a visit over Easter. As soon as my grandson saw my fish he got the idea to buy me a fish. My son whispered this in my ear and asked what kind he should let Nicholas buy for me. I told him a couple zebra danios would be ok. They come back from Walmart with this, (referred to as), Rosy Barb. I had no where to put a fish from Walmart! I don't buy fish from Walmart. Anyway while everyone is eating Easter dinner, I'm frantically setting up another 10G tank for this fish. The kids stayed with us for the week and everything seemed to be going well. I had snatched the old cartridge filter and some aged gravel from my 30G tank to 'try' to give this fish a fighting chance in a totally new tank. Since he was the only fish the ammonia stayed ok and I got this brilliant idea after a couple weeks of tossing him in my several year old established community 30G tank. All seemed fine for a few days. He was very energetic and seemed to love the larger surroundings and company of all the other fish. Then after about a week he started pestering my Black Skirts. Nothing too serious and no fin nipping. I kept my eye on him and he seemed to be growing by the day! One of my 2 Platys started to look a little sickly. The next thing I know the Tinfoil up and eats the sickly (slow moving), Platy. Enough of that business and I shuffled the Tinfoil off to a 10G by himself. That's his story Guess I'll have to trade him off for maybe a new Platy.

Last edited:

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think even bigger than 60gal would be needed, as Platy Ben hinted at. 90gal would be the minimum I would keep these guys in & really I'd probably make that 120gal. It's always a risk when others buy you fish & I've had to do the return a fish the kids bought for me trick before to. Perhaps the next time you see the grandson you can take him for a trip to the LFS yourself & see if you can find a couple of fully grown Tinfoils so that he can see how big they get. That will help him understand why you couldn't keep it. Perhaps you can help him choose a more suitable fish for you or even set up one of the 10gal tanks you mentioned for him & you can help him choose fish for it the next time you get to see him. That would make him really happy & you would have something of his in your home as a constant reminder of him.

Of course I would use this as the perfect excuse to hit the son up to put in for a tank suitable for such a large fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom