What kind of fish is this?

Seatrout

There are many of these small fish in my pond. I think they are around 4 months old. I believe they are juvenile gold fish, but some of them are very large and they are all just a silver/copper color. Any ideas? Could a bird maybe have dropped eggs in the pond? I saw ducks in it all the time during the summer, and I live next to a river. Maybe koi/goldfish hybrid??

07861E5E-7D4C-44D9-ACB6-650B828A2BDE.jpeg
7588711F-5724-4F87-967E-181DDE8523AC.jpeg

Flyfisha

Hi Seatrout welcome to fishlore.

That does look exactly like juvenile goldfish fry . Often moved on plant material .The colour CAN change with age but I understand it is not guaranteed that they will be gold with age.

As a recreational fishing person I have heard many stories of birds moving fish and eggs around. While people can discount stories the fact is you have fish in your pond.

Seatrout

Thanks for the help!

Fishnturtleguy933

Hi Seatrout welcome to fishlore.

That does look exactly like juvenile goldfish fry . Often moved on plant material .The colour CAN change with age but I understand it is not guaranteed that they will be gold with age.

As a recreational fishing person I have heard many stories of birds moving fish and eggs around. While people can discount stories the fact is you have fish in your pond.
I've literally seen birds pick up fish out of one pond then drop them in the next pond over or even just the other side of a lake. Normally they are trying to drop it on something hard to eat it so i can totally see this happening, even with eggs.

emeraldking

Yours are juvenile goldfish. A lot of golden, orange, yellow and red goldfish start off as being dark brown, light brown and greenish. As they age, the dark coloration will start to fade starting from the bottom and will turn into a golden, orange, yellow or red goldfish. But the goldfish can stay dark as well. That means that they are wild color, just like the original fish where the goldfish is derived from.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lynn78too
Replies
Views
Inno
Replies
Views
WRWAquarium
  • PeterFishKeepin
  • Ponds