What kind of fish is this?

Jennye03

20200617_084532.jpgCan anyone tell me what kind of fish this is? We'd like to get more fish but we want to add fish that will all get along. Thank you

Best Answer - View MrBryan723's answer

jkkgron2

I’m not sure what it is, maybe a zebra danio? Danios in general prefer being in schools of atleast 6, preferably 8. Judging by the picture it is in a very small container, can you please tell me how many gallons it is? I would hate for your tank to become overstocked.

flyinGourami

jkkgron2 said:
I’m not sure what it is, maybe a zebra danio? Danios in general prefer being in schools of atleast 6, preferably 8. Judging by the picture it is in a very small container, can you please tell me how many gallons it is? I would hate for your tank to become overstocked.
Pretty sure that is not a zebra danio, body shape, color, and pattern doesn't look right to me.

jkkgron2

flyinGourami said:
Pretty sure that is not a zebra danio, body shape, color, and pattern doesn't look right to me.
flyinGourami said:
I hadn’t zoomed in on the pic much so I probably didn’t get a great look. I’m going to try zooming in a bit more to see if it looks different. Thanks for pointing it out!

MrBryan723

Still my guess.Screenshot_20200617-131509_Samsung Internet.jpg

Jennye03

Thanks everyone. It does look like the rosy red minnow in the pic.

Jennye03

flyinGourami said:

Jennye03

jkkgron2 said:
It is 2.5 gallon tank. How many more can I put 8n there before I need to get a bigger tank?

MrBryan723

Jennye03 said:
It is 2.5 gallon tank. How many more can I put 8n there before I need to get a bigger tank?
Zero. Minnow species generally need a 20 long minimum as they are active fish. And you would want a school of at least 5. If it is filtered properly, a solitary small fish species such as a betta or maybe a killfish would work pretty well. Or a shrimp tank. I am setting one up as we speak, and I'll be asking my question about that lol.

barbiespoodle

I'm going to echo MrBryan, a tank that small is best for a solitary fish or shrimp tank. I just dismantled the 3.5 gallon I was using as a snail holding tank to make room for my new 10 gallon shrimp/snail tank. When I did have the 3.5 going, First, I replaced the worthless hang on back filter that came with it and put in a sponge filter which did a far better job of keeping the tank clean and once I did that, I added 3 guppies from my community tank just to add interest until the 10 gallon was ready. They went back into the community tank once my shrimp arrived.

And MrBryan, shrimp tanks are way cool, the new one is my second, blues this time, because I so fell in love with the first tank, reds. I'm hoping the new ones do as well as the old ones.

Top Bottom