What Kind Of Fish Is This?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello!
Those are Peter's Elephantnose Fish, they are super cute little guys!
You can keep them alone, but if you want to keep them in a group, I recommend five or more. Just a few of them will cause aggression.

They can reach a size of 9 - 13 inches and need at least a 40 gallon.

axel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fanatic said:
Hello!
Those are Peter's Elephantnose Fish, they are super cute little guys!
You can keep them alone, but if you want to keep them in a group, I recommend five or more. Just a few of them will cause aggression.

They can reach a size of 9 - 13 inches and need at least a 40 gallon.
My LFS told me they cant get any bigger, i almost bought them.
Thx for the info

Seth15

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They are gnathonemus petersii better known as the elephant nose. They are an electrical field producing fish originating from Africa. They are quite sensitive, and not recommended for beginners. They grow to a max size of about 13 inches.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you get any, dont do more than one, and then you cant get any other similar navigating fish like knives. You also need wonderful water. Lfs uses ro water in their tank that houses them. They get them 4 to 6 inches. I had one for a month before my source water eventually killed it. I really liked it, and should have known better, but was unwilling to buy ro. You can not over emphasize the sensitivity of these guys.

A cool trick to monitor them is to get a piezio electric earbud. When they are at rest, the faster the clicks the more stressed they are. Unfortunately my earbud came in a week too late.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wraithen said:
If you get any, dont do more than one, and then you cant get any other similar navigating fish like knives. You also need wonderful water. Lfs uses ro water in their tank that houses them. They get them 4 to 6 inches. I had one for a month before my source water eventually killed it. I really liked it, and should have known better, but was unwilling to buy ro. You can not over emphasize the sensitivity of these guys.

A cool trick to monitor them is to get a piezio electric earbud. When they are at rest, the faster the clicks the more stressed they are. Unfortunately my earbud came in a week too late.
If acclimated and parameters kept stable and clean for them they will live just fine.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mcasella said:
If acclimated and parameters kept stable and clean for them they will live just fine.
Nope. My water had too many pollutants. Most water should be fine. Mine is just toxic. It's from fire fighting foam.

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you get them, Do get more than one, because they are a shoaling species that lives in groups. But you need a very large tank to keep a group, because they need space to stay peaceful amongst themselves, so don't get them.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They do fine singly. They appear to have issues long term as groups supposedly. I've never seen a tank full of them so that picture came as a surprise. I was led to believe from everything I read not to keep more than a single mormyrid due to confusion with their electric sensory organs. That included mixing knives with Peter's elephants because of the similar pulses.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The blood parrot would like pick on it just because the elephant nose is shyer (in a larger tank with many places to hang out/hide it might be easier, however if you get a parrot with even a half functioning mouth the elephant nose will likely suffer, the nonfunctioning mouthed ones will still head butt other fish in an attempt to attack).

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wraithen said:
They do fine singly. They appear to have issues long term as groups supposedly. I've never seen a tank full of them so that picture came as a surprise. I was led to believe from everything I read not to keep more than a single mormyrid due to confusion with their electric sensory organs. That included mixing knives with Peter's elephants because of the similar pulses.
The bottom line is they're not really a good aquarium fish. They'll live on their own but they naturally live in groups, so keeping one is not an option if you believe shoaling fish should not be kept singly. They do very well in groups but need a huge tank... the only reason you've read that you shouldn't keep more than one is that very few people try a group in a big enough tank.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Coptapia said:
The bottom line is they're not really a good aquarium fish. They'll live on their own but they naturally live in groups, so keeping one is not an option if you believe shoaling fish should not be kept singly. They do very well in groups but need a huge tank... the only reason you've read that you shouldn't keep more than one is that very few people try a group in a big enough tank.
Makes sense. I do agree they arent a great aquarium fish. Maybe a good huge super clean 1000g tropical pond fish lol. Dont get me wrong, I really liked mine for the short time I had it, and it was a cool fish to watch, but it's one I will NEVER own again.

Seth15

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Coptapia said:
You make a very good point that I agree with. It is quite unfortunate that such an interesting species is generally kept under incorrect conditions. You are correct, they are a shoaling fish by nature and are actually social amongst each other. They do however need to be kept in large groups to disperse aggression and create a heirachry amongst them, which in turn means that they would need a large aquarium. Most people will not dedicate an aquarium entirely to them. They are really a species only type fish, they can be easily outcompeted by other fish species. To top it off they are very sensitive to water conditions and are very fussy to feed. Definitely not a beginner fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom