What Kind Of Fish Is This?

Flutterby0111

E9FA7724-51DE-49AC-AFE3-6D2CA93A8057.jpeg

My friend gave me her fish and I have all identified but this one. She called it a minnow, but it doesn’t look like a minnow to me. It’s the only one in there of it’s kind, so I was hoping to find more to go with it to mellow it out, but I don’t know what it is.

It’s pretty aggressive and when I asked her about it, she said her daughter’s friend gave it to them and it’s from their creek. I’m halfway inclined to go put it back in the creek just because of how aggressive it is.

aussieJJDude

Looks like a mosquito fish to me...?

yukondog

Cant help on the type, but it is a male. What state is it from?

Demeter

It's a male livebearer of some sort. Possible some sort of guppy or endler. My guess is a mosquito fish.

Flutterby0111

Cant help on the type, but it is a male. What state is it from?

Texas

aussieJJDude

I really do believe its mosquitofish (G. affinis). Very guppy in shape - both livebearers - and native in the texas/mexico range.

Flutterby0111

Thanks, everyone! I believe it’s a mosquito fish, too, after Googling ‘mosquito fish’. Appreciate it!!

B1GD4DDY

Looks exactly like a Mosquito Fish. Also, these types of fish are very aggressive and it is recommended they are only kept in species specific tanks. If he truly came from the creek, I would send him home!

2211Nighthawk

Looks exactly like a Mosquito Fish. Also, these types of fish are very aggressive and it is recommended they are only kept in species specific tanks. If he truly came from the creek, I would send him home!
Do NOT release him! It can cause all sorts of issues. If you don’t want him, eauthanise him but never release animals back into the wild.

B1GD4DDY

Do NOT release him! It can cause all sorts of issues. If you don’t want him, eauthanise him but never release animals back into the wild.

What is wrong with releasing “back” into the wild? If it was culled from the creek, you would rather it be killed then sent back where it came from?

NLindsey921

It could introduce diseasess into the wild that the wild fish have no protection to.

2211Nighthawk

What is wrong with releasing “back” into the wild? If it was culled from the creek, you would rather it be killed then sent back where it came from?
Heck yes. Cause as small of a chance there is, introducing an aquarium diesase or bacteria into native waters could wipe out the species. NEVER release back into the wild.

chromedome52

Even native fish enthusiasts will not return a fish to the wild if it's been kept in an aquarium. The rule is, you catch it, you keep it. The problem isn't the native species, it's the fact that so many tropicals these days are carrying pathogens to which they have become immune. A fairly tough native, such as Gambusia, might also survive carrying such pathogens, but other fish in the native habitat are not going to be so tough. Releasing a native species into a habitat that it did not originate from is especially dangerous.

Right now in Michigan there is a problem from bait minnows caught in another state being released into our lakes, and the disease has devastated the fish populations of several small lakes. This resulted in a lot of regulations and rules to try and protect the ones we still have.

Flutterby0111

Great info to know - thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
chromedome52
Replies
Views
Mattjames
Replies
Views
Ellebrius