What Kind Of Fish Is This?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by poxkix, Apr 23, 2017.

1. poxkixNew MemberMember

Hello fellow fish lovers!
    Any of you guys know what fish are these? They are caught wild from a river just a few kilometer from the house. They tend to clump up at the river bank away from the river flow

2. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

3. poxkixNew MemberMember

I have the same thought but the tails differ.. any other thoughts? There are tons of these in that river system

4. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

They might be a mix of endler and guppy too. Are the ones in the photos males or females...or a mix of both?

5. Protim SarkarWell Known MemberMember

They are EndlerGuppies. Very pretty !

6. poxkixNew MemberMember

Honestly i have no idea. It's my first time seeing these.

I have never seen both endler and guppy from the river though.

What are the traits or signs to confirm that they are really endlerguppies?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  7. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

The markings scream endler! the only thing that is "off" is the tail...but think about it, even guppies have different tails, the endlers in the river could just have different tails, or they could be mixed with guppies (who knows, someone may have dumped them in the river)

Edit: I'm looking at some pictures right now of Endler's and it looks like some of them have different markings on their tails, so they could just be regular endlers.

8. poxkixNew MemberMember

Ikr? Hahah maybe these are juveniles?
    I've caught about 15 of them. 5 colorful ones and 10 plain ones that are bigger than them.
    After catching and inspection, i've placed the 5 colorful ones in my 15gal planted tank with one red cherry. After the inputs from you guys I furthered my research about endlers and gave me the knowledge that if they are endlers, the plain ones are females.

Now, what I did is I placed the 5 plain ones in the tank and right off the bat, the colorful ones started chasing the bigger and plain ones.

9. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

They do look like endlers

10. poxkixNew MemberMember

I still doubt it's a hybrid. They look more the kind of wild guppies, the ones without the fancy tails. I'm about 40% convinced it's endlers and the rest to wild guppies.

11. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

They are just wild Guppies. Endler's have not been widely used for Mosquito control; wild Guppies have. Unless that river is in Venezuela, they are highly unlikely to have any Endler's in them.

It would help to know where the river is located.

12. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

All of my feeder guppy males (that i just got rid of) looked like this, or a little fancier (a couple had intense blue to them) but they were still feeders even if they looked nicer than the ones you see in pet stores.

13. poxkixNew MemberMember

As far as my research goes it points more towards wild guppies. Are these the same with fancy guppies with the broad tails or these wild ones will look the same throughout its lifetime the same with the sample picture?

The river is on a mountain in the Philippines. I live in a very remote place actually. If I were to find petshops, I have to travel around 160km to get there. That's why I ended up catching wild ones.

So, are these confirmed wild guppies?

14. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Yes, those would definitely be wild guppies, introduced for mosquito control. They likely will continue to reproduce with a color pattern similar to the one in the photo, as apparently the population originated from a group of similarly marked fish. They won't develop broad tails, as those were developed through line breeding for a number of years, and with the help of some random mutations.

15. poxkixNew MemberMember

Confirmed then. Also some call it "feeder guppies".

They have attractive colors though. I wonder if I can breed them and make the coloring better?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice