What kind of fish is this?

1. aleu18 Member Member

Im on vacation in south america to see my family and being the animal lover than i am i went to go visit some local petshops. Well...they are very very VERY different from american stores.
    first off people here can buy a pet stingray at the store. And then today i saw a pretty aggresive fish who followed ur finger and then decided it wanted to eat it. It looked pretty cool though. Anyone know what it is?

2. AsianManJames Initiate Member

Could you please provide us with a picture?
    Thanks

3. aleu18 Member Member

Yea sorry i was busy posting it and then the internet failed me

Attached Files:

4. aleu18 Member Member

image.jpeg

5. Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

6. aleu18 Member Member

image.jpeg

It didnt say

7. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

Those are Knife Fish.
    I don't know the name of the first Knife, but the second Knife is a Clown Knife. Very beautiful fish, they get big. You would need at least a 55g for just one. They are nocturnal and need lots of hiding places.
    After taking another look, the first looks like a Clown Knife as well.
    Anders247, TexasDomer, hampalong, chromedome52.

8. Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

In India we say it as 'chitol'. But it is a clown knife fish.

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You need a tank much larger than a 55 gal for a clown knife. They get huge.

10. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

They're both Clown Knifefish. First picture is Chitala blanci, second is Chitala ornata, both from the Mekong basin.

11. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I was also going to say knife fish. But everybody beat me to it. Must be really neat brousing those fish stores. Alison;)

12. Aquatica88 Member Member

Clown Knifefish look awesome. I don't have any tanks that are anywhere near large enough to keep one, though.

13. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

All these tankbusters are available in the UK too (there's not much danger of released tropical fish surviving a British winter). They invariably get bought by people with tanks that are way too small.