What kind of fish is this?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by tyguy7760, Jul 21, 2015.

1. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

So stopped by petco tonight and picked this little guy up. I had been planning on getting another platy friend for my MM platy. My daughter liked him so I got him. But now I'm starting to wonder if this is really a platy. It was in the tank called "Red Wag Platy" but I'm starting to think that this isn't a red wag platy from the google images of them. Is it even a platy or is this a swordtail?

1.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe golden sailfin Molly?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. T

The Red Severum Valued Member Member

It is either a female swordtail or a platy.

4. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

how to tell the difference though

5. Vulpes

Vulpes Valued Member Member

Female platies and swordtails have a fanned out anal fin while males have a pointy one.

In female swordtails you might notice a VERY small sword at the bottom of her tail fin.It's not really a sword,the edge of her tail just starts curving the other way and ends in a point.Swordtails also have longer bodies and grow much larger.

6. Dom90

Ok then I don't think it's a swordtail...
    I thought it was a golden sailfin Molly because the pic looks similar to this

7. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

It's just a red platy, not a red wag since it doesn't have the black tail. I've come across red platies that have the red tail and some with a clearish tail like yours. Some of my red platy fry have orange tails, lol. Google red platy in images, a lot of them have more clear tails. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. Dom90

What about the 3rd pic though? The coloring looks yellowish.

9. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I'm thinking is just the light personally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

I will take the Swedish approach perhaps it's a swordtail platty hybrid!!

11. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

Now you are being confusing!! :;smack

It looks like a standard red Platy

12. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

I can't really see the anal fin, but it just looks like a red female platy to me, not wag. My profile pic is a female wag platy.

Yours could be a female swordtail, hard to tell those apart from female platys.

Maybe go back to the store and look at the tank you got her from and check out the males - if they are swordtails, they will be VERY obvious, as they will have...well, sword tails - a very prominent sword-shaped fin coming out the back, an inch long or more.

Highly doubtful, though. I don't think even Petco could mess up that badly.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  13. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

That's a swordtail girl. Platies are deeper bodied than swordtails, which tend to be longer bodied and a bit slimmer through the gut than platies.

It could potentially be a hybrid, but IMO is definitely not a pure platy.

That said, there's nothing wrong with that, as long as your platy is also a female.

14. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

My platy (the one i've had for a few weeks now) is a male. Pointy anal fin. The new platy/swordtail also has a pointy anal fin very similar to my known male platy. The only thing is this looks much more steam lined like a sword tail. It was with platies but i wanted to get another male and most of the fish in the tank were females so I chose him.

And the 3rd pic is just lighting. The fish is a very deep orange

15. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

After doing a bit more research I feel like this is likely a juvenile male red platy.

It seems that the female swordtails have the triangular anal fin like the platies do and this one definitely has the pointy one

Also, live aquaria's picture of a red platy looks a lot like mine. The red ones seem to be a little more streamlined and less big bellied..for lack of a better term..than the MM ones.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1103+2727&pcatid=2727

16. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

The body is too elongate to be a Platy, I'd say if it has a gonopodium (a modified anal fin) that it might be a young male Swordtail just sexing out. The sword is the last thing to develop on male swords. The photos were so blurred I couldn't really see the anal fin, though the last picture looked like it had one.

Incidentally, ALL domestic strains of "Platies" and "Swordtails" are the result of hybridization between the two species helleri and maculatus. Most of the color originated with wild Platies, and were bred into the Swordtails. The wag characteristic, for example, require the twin bar gene from the Platy and a modifier from the Swordtail. Even most of the Green Swordtails that are domestically raised are not pure Xiphophorus helleri.

17. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Male platies will be thinner than females. It doesn't look too long to be a platy to me. definitely not a molly, and if its a male its definitely not a swordtail. Just looks like a slightly orange colored Red Platy.

18. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Doesn't matter what sex it is, it's not a Platy. Male platies are not that elongate. It is a swordtail; having raised thousands, I'm reasonably certain of my ability to identify them.

19. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed with chromedome.

20. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

If you look closely you can see a slight swordtail developing. Zoom the third pic in.

IMO swordtail it is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice