what kind of fish is this

1. gammerus Well Known Member Member

got it from a pond...not sure, think its a sunfish 4.jpg

2. Maida_gc Member Member

I believe you're correct. It looks like a "Green Sunfish" to me. Google it.

3. jim55379 Member Member

Yes I think it is called a pumpkinseed. It's a cross between a sunfish and something else? Maybe I will try to put some of these fish in my tank. How about a muskie? :eek:

4. jim55379 Member Member

Yes I think it is called a pumpkinseed.  It's a cross between a sunfish and something else?   Maybe I will try to put some of these fish in my tank.  How about a muskie? :eek:

5. vin Well Known Member Member

What you have there is a green sunfish. I would highly recommend that you DO NOT put that with any other hobby fish as it will EAT THEM. It will also reach about 8"-12" in length and can weigh upwards of 1-1.5lbs....So you'd better make sure you have the room to keep it.

Also, not to be a pain, but it's illegal to transport gamefish from one place to another as well as to keep them for personal use other than eating.......If you decide to return it to the wild and get caught you can get into serious trouble.

Just a word of advice....

6. vin Well Known Member Member

What you have there is a green sunfish. I would highly recommend that you DO NOT put that with any other hobby fish as it will EAT THEM. It will also reach about 8"-12" in length and can weigh upwards of 1-1.5lbs....So you'd better make sure you have the room to keep it.

Also, not to be a pain,  but it's illegal to transport gamefish from one place to another as well as to keep them for personal use other than eating.......If you decide to return it to the wild and get caught you can get into serious trouble.

Just a word of advice....

7. dahly Member Member

He looks great in your tank! How big is your tank? With any luck, it's a pregnant female and you'll have little one's to keep her company. You could always, covertly, take the fish back to the pond. If some one says something, say it followed you home. Or throw it in the water and say "What fish?" ;D

8. gammerus Well Known Member Member

its not mine its my boyfriend's, but since it ate my his goldfish he decided to take it out and release it in the pond..silly fish, goldfish are for people