What Kind Of Fish Is This? Some Type Of Tetra?

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yup. A close one could be a head & tail light tetra, or Emperor, but it's easy to differentiate because of his dorsal fin. He's a young one too.

all-out-fallout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yup. A close one could be a head & tail light tetra, or Emperor, but it's easy to differentiate because of his dorsal fin. He's a young one too.
He’s very little, only about a half inch long. I really want to keep him but I’m already building up a school for my twenty gallon long tank so I can’t. Gonna try to give him away for free.

Thanks for the confirmation.

all-out-fallout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oops now saw it was your guess hahaha.
No worries! It’s encouraging that I’m not the only one who thought he was that kind of fish.

Or, as an alternative, you could allow him to join the school in your 20! : )
I don’t think he’d school with a different type of tetra. I have embers... although they are similar sizes right now. Maybe I can put them all in a bucket and see what they think?

all-out-fallout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That is what I did with a red/blue columbian tetra. It thinks it's a long finned black skirt tetra
Really? Whoa... that’s awesome. My only concern with trying it though is that it might not work out, and if that’s the case he’ll be really hard to get out of my tank.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Really? Whoa... that’s awesome. My only concern with trying it get though is that it might not work out, and if that’s the case he’ll be really hard to get out of my tank.
It is usually best to have schools of all the same fish but a lot of tetras will get along with other kinds of tetras. I understand you not wanting to take a chance though.

all-out-fallout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It is usually best to have schools of all the same fish but a lot of tetras will get along with other kinds of tetras. I understand you not wanting to take a chance though.
That’s what I’ve heard. But hmm... I do have an (uncycled) 10g I could put them in just to observe behavior. It does have a heater. I could just pop them in and watch. Alternatively I could move the heater into a bucket and put them in there instead.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
not is will be
That’s what I’ve heard. But hmm... I do have an (uncycled) 10g I could put them in just to observe behavior. It does have a heater. I could just pop them in and watch. Alternatively I could move the heater into a bucket and put them in there instead.
It sounds like you have ways of testing to see if it will work and if not it won't be difficult to remove it. This little guy may end up being your favorite fish since you get to watch it grow up.

all-out-fallout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It sounds like you have ways of testing to see if it will work and if not it won't be difficult to remove it. This little guy may end up being your favorite fish since you get to watch it grow up.
If he does school with them he’ll be special because I’ll always be able to tell him apart. If not, I’ll keep trying to find him a home. I hope everything works out.

all-out-fallout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@mattgirl
Man... I can’t even believe it. Thank you so much for suggesting I try letting him swim with the other tetras!

When I first added them to the tank all the fish scattered. Then the bolder ones scouted out the missing members, collecting them as they went. They included the pristella in their search.

They’re doing a great job together!

Attachments

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am so happy to hear that. I have a feeling this little guy will do just fine with its tank mates now that they have accepted each other.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just wonder what the Embers will think when the Pristella gets about twice their size! Both are very peaceful species, so they will work out for a while, at least.

all-out-fallout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just wonder what the Embers will think when the Pristella gets about twice their size! Both are very peaceful species, so they will work out for a while, at least.
I hope they stay pals! He does seem to be the first to go “missing” or get separated from the pack, but I’ve got my fingers crossed everything will work out. If they do end up being tight that will definitely be a sight to see! Little guys and big guy.

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's a natural instinct for a lone tetra to join a group of other tetras for protection, but it's still not a group of its own species which is what it would prefer.

all-out-fallout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's a natural instinct for a lone tetra to join a group of other tetras for protection, but it's still not a group of its own species which is what it would prefer.
My thoughts exactly after watching how loosely the group held together. I have two places open for trying to relocate him and I’ll keep bumping them for visibility. He sticks with them, but if introduced to his own species my guess is that he’d swim to them in a heartbeat. For now the best I can do is keep him in my big, cycled tank and hope for the best. The place I got him is over half an hour away, so I could take him back next week when I have a day off.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom