What kind of fish get along with gouramis? Question

1. J

Jackie Frost Valued Member Member

I have a puffer that I'm going to take back to the store tommorow. (Certianly no later then Monday.) I don't want to make any more mistakes so what kind of fish would get along with an albino (perhaps pearl) gourami and a golden gourami. (Right now the albino will occasionally nip the puffer if you can imagine that!) I want a happy community of fish.

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

just your 2 gouramis in the 15g is going to be some major wars :( IMO ...why not just one gourami, 4-5 neons?

3. OP
    OP
    J

I think you're right Shawnie, because right now my 'white' gourami has cornered both the golden gourami and the puffer into a toy castle. She refuses to let them come out too. And she's the smallest of all of them! Arrrgh! :;fru Boy did I mess up with my fish chocies!

4. crazedACD

crazedACD Valued Member Member

The smaller the tank, the more aggression issues you are going to run into. Have you managed to take a picture of the white gourami yet? I'm interested in seeing what this may be...

I have a suggestion for ya...how about picking up like a 29g+ kit (if you have the money), moving the gouramis there, and keeping the 15g as a puffer setup? :p If you have a dwarf you could probably get a few more. Sounds like a win/win situation there!

5. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

A puffer? Gouramis?? What have I been missing? Wow, a girl skips a few hours on the forum...

Jackie, can you update your tank info?

6. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

I personally think a 15G is too small to keep any gourami (excluding dwarf gouramis) with other fish in a 15G.
    Howeve in my 72G I have 2 pearl gouramis and an opaline gourami and they get one fine with my barbs, so maybe barbs would work?

7. OP
    OP
    J

Actually I did take a pic, but the flash startled all of the fish so badly they went into hiding for 5 minutes. So I decided to give em a day to get used to their surroundings. The picture turned out terribly blurry too.

Yeah, I'd still like to keep the puffer. But I learned on this very site that puffers are extremely intollerant to amonia ...and I'm cycling with Tetra safe start right now. I don't want the little guy to suffer.

Yesterday I did make an offer to a friend to buy his old 75 gallon tank. (He used his for snakes though) for 30 bucks. He hasn't responded yet so I may sweeten the deal, by offering to watch his son for free on the day of his choice. (I run a daycare.) Maybe that'll persuade him. ^-^

8. N

Neji Valued Member Member

Agreed. I never knew puffer fishes can stay with gouramis. Puffers are highly aggressive. Gouramis are just moderately aggressive, but then again... small tank and 3 fishes. Gouramis like having a lot of space. Instead of a 15 gallon tank. It's too small. Gouramis can stay in a 29 gallon tank which I think is the lowest you can go. The only time you should keep a gourami in a 15g tank is when he or she is sick and needs to be treated in a separate tank.

9. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Neji, Jackie took back all those fish and is now setting up a community tank. She basically started over when she realized that the fish she bought weren't going to work out.

She now has 3 platies and 3 apple snails in, with some Tetra Safe STart to cycle the tank. :)

10. OP
    OP
    J

Yeah, I need to update my aquarium info. Sorry about the confusion.

11. N

Neji Valued Member Member

That's alright :) Some people are so busy they never have any time to update the aquarium info :) I am so busy all the time I haven't updated my info until last week :S