What Kind Of Fish Enjoy Tall Tanks? How Many Fish For 20 Gallon?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by shrimprfun, May 29, 2019.

1. shrimprfunValued MemberMember

Hi everyone!

I currently have a fully planted, 3 gallon shrimp tank. However, I'm looking to upgrade / buy a bigger tank, and possibly add some fish.

I found this 20 gallon tank, but it is quite tall (as opposed to the typical rectangular shape). Would this pose a problem? Are there any types of fish that would work well in this type of tank? I was hoping to either put fish or simply move my shrimp to a bigger tank... would love opinions! Thanks.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. AJEFishlore VIPMember

Do you know the dimensions?

3. shrimprfunValued MemberMember

The ad says "13 1/4 X 25 stand up tank"

4. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

5. shrimprfunValued MemberMember

6. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

You can have more since its more gallonage. A tank has a top, mid and bottom level so you can have 3 different schools and not have them crowding each other by picking a school for each level.

7. shrimprfunValued MemberMember

Do you think the fish would struggle because there's not much horizontal swimming room? Or do you think it will be okay

8. aurora34New MemberMember

I recently got a hexagon 20 gallon tall tank and shifted my black neons, cories, and female bettas over to it, the only one acting differently is one of my corys, they normally, for me at least, stay grounded but one of them has been swimming up in slow wide swoops towards the mid-range of the tank then drifts back down, he didn't used to do that.

9. nbalaw2016New MemberMember

My porthole catfish (dianema longibarbis) seem to spend most of their time midlevel just resting on tall plants; I rarely see them swimming long distances on the bottom of the tank. So they may work, though it's possible they'll grow too large for a 20g tank over time.

I think that 5 of them with a single gourami would be a pretty tank. A single or pair of rams could also work nicely.