What Kind Of Fish Enjoy Tall Tanks? How Many Fish For 20 Gallon?

shrimprfun

Reaction score
HI everyone!

I currently have a fully planted, 3 gallon shrimp tank. However, I'm looking to upgrade / buy a bigger tank, and possibly add some fish.

I found this 20 gallon tank, but it is quite tall (as opposed to the typical rectangular shape). Would this pose a problem? Are there any types of fish that would work well in this type of tank? I was hoping to either put fish or simply move my shrimp to a bigger tank... would love opinions! Thanks.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
shrimprfun said:
HI everyone!

I currently have a fully planted, 3 gallon shrimp tank. However, I'm looking to upgrade / buy a bigger tank, and possibly add some fish.

I found this 20 gallon tank, but it is quite tall (as opposed to the typical rectangular shape). Would this pose a problem? Are there any types of fish that would work well in this type of tank? I was hoping to either put fish or simply move my shrimp to a bigger tank... would love opinions! Thanks.
Do you know the dimensions?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can have more since its more gallonage. A tank has a top, mid and bottom level so you can have 3 different schools and not have them crowding each other by picking a school for each level.

OP
S

shrimprfun

Reaction score
david1978 said:
You can have more since its more gallonage. A tank has a top, mid and bottom level so you can have 3 different schools and not have them crowding each other by picking a school for each level.
Do you think the fish would struggle because there's not much horizontal swimming room? Or do you think it will be okay

aurora34

Reaction score
I recently got a hexagon 20 gallon tall tank and shifted my black neons, cories, and female bettas over to it, the only one acting differently is one of my corys, they normally, for me at least, stay grounded but one of them has been swimming up in slow wide swoops towards the mid-range of the tank then drifts back down, he didn't used to do that.

nbalaw2016

Reaction score
My porthole catfish (dianema longibarbis) seem to spend most of their time midlevel just resting on tall plants; I rarely see them swimming long distances on the bottom of the tank. So they may work, though it's possible they'll grow too large for a 20 gallon tank over time.

I think that 5 of them with a single gouramI would be a pretty tank. A single or pair of rams could also work nicely.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Long is always better. 13 inches does not allow for a fish to really swim naturaly. If you read what Auroro13 said, her corie sounds stressed. Its impossible to say if tank size is the cause without knowing more however.

New Threads