What Kind Of Fish Are These??

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Jess0708, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Jess0708

Jess0708 New Member Member

are these mollies or platys? The LFS said they were types of mollies, their tag just said “variety”?

I have these two that I just added to my 10 gal tank. I have a balloon Molly (female), a dwarf gourami (male), a nerite snail. Also a moss ball and an oriental sword plant.

Attached Files:

2. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

They appear to be platies. One male, one female, I think.

You have some stocking issues as well, if you'd like to talk about them.

3. OP
    OP
    Jess0708

Yes, please let me know of any issues.

4. c

calsfish New Member Member

a dwarf needs a 20 gallon tank and platies need 3 or more to spread out the breeding aggression

5. Lorekeeper

Well, you're overstocked a bit.

A dwarf gourami can be fine in a 10 gallon, but it should be by itself, IMO. If you'd like to keep other fish with it, I think a 20 gallon minimum is a must.

With all the common livebearers (mollies, guppies, platies, and swordtails) you should go for 1 male for every 2-3 females. Males tend to be a bit... insistent to the females, and that can be stressful when there's only one female for the male to go after. Having two spreads the stress out a bit more. All males is a better idea for a beginner, to avoid all the fry.

With platies, I'd say you could have a trio (3 males, preferably) along with your nerite snail. That'd be a stocked 10 gallon.

Or, you could go with a trio of balloon mollies (3 females, since you already have the female) and your nerite.

Or, you could keep your gourami and your snail.

Either of those are stocked, IMO, and all would make for a beautiful tank.

6. OP
    OP
    Jess0708

Okay. I will get another female platy.

The dwarf gourami was in by itself first, but it seemed much happier with tank mates.. should I be too concerned if he is acting fine?

7. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I agree. The first is a female, the second a male.

8. Lorekeeper

Honestly, I don't think your gourami is happier with tank mates. He may be a bit more active due to the stress that the other fish cause (livebearers tend to be super active, while gouramis are a bit more laid back).

If it were me, I'd choose a fish in your tank that you like the most, and run with it. If you like the dwarf gourami the most, I'd return the platies and the molly. If you enjoy the molly the most, I'd return the gourami and platies and get a couple more female mollies. If you like the platies the most, return the molly and gourami and get another female platy.

9. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

I personally wouldn’t put any livebearers in a ten-gallon except guppies. Mollies, platies, and swordtails get too aggressive. I would return everything and just get something simpler, like guppies, rasboras, tetras, etc. That’s just me, though.

10. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

First one might be a female Swordtail. The body is kind of long for a Platy. The second one is definitely a male Platy.

Only 3 Platies and a Nerite in a 10 gallon would be stocked? I disagree.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice