What kind of filter sits in the side of the tank? Help

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Emily Caldwell, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Emily Caldwell

Emily Caldwell Valued Member Member

Hi all,

I'm volunteering to help fix up a neglected tank at a local nursing home. Shouldn't be that hard, except it's a custom built tank. It's 20 gallons but really wide...made to look like a wall-mounted flat screen tv. There are hidden compartments on either side of the tank for filters and heaters. What do you call this system? I thought it might be a sump but after reading up on them I don't think that's what it is....

They currently have some little Top Fin filter running in there, but it looks like there is all kind of media and a motor they aren't using. I'm inclined to replace what's in there with something I know will work, but I'm not sure what kind of filter is best for such a compartment. Could I use a regular canister filter?

Sorry for the vagueness of this post...hopefully someone will know what I'm talking about.

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, you can probably use a Fluval 106 or something similar for a tank that small.

3. OP
    OP
    Emily Caldwell

Have you seen tanks with these hidden side compartments?

4. Dom90

I have not, can you take a picture? But the only types of filters that would work are sumps or canisters, since they sit on the bottom.

5. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

Emily a picture or two would be a big help. Are there currently fish in the tank? And is the top fin filter running in the hidden part, or is it just stuck on the tank somewhere?

6. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Something like this?

7. Dom90

By the way, top fin probably makes the worst filters ever, in terms of quality.

8. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

+1 to what Dom90 said! (Top Fin filters)

9. OP
    OP
    Emily Caldwell

Yes it's similar to that but not as nice.

10. OP
    OP
    Emily Caldwell

Oh and I know Top Fin filters are garbage, that's why I was hoping to replace it ASAP.

The tank has 7 fish in it right now. 5 Zebra Danios, one of which is very bloated/constipated and 2 fancy guppies, one of which has almost NO tail left. It's quite a depressing sight.

The main thing they needed help with was the disgusting algae soup that has taken over their tank...easy fix, they leave the lights on 24/7!!!!

When I tested the water it tested 0 ppm for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate which was very odd since they told me they have basically stopped doing water changes or any type of maintenance. I've been using the same test kit on my office aquarium and it's working fine so I'm not sure what happened there.

11. Dom90

That probably means the cycle resetted, or there is no bacteria present maybe?

12. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

If is like that wall could be the filter itself. Have any pics of the actual thing ur talking about.

13. OP
    OP
    Emily Caldwell

I think the filter is built in but they aren't using it and I don't know how to get it running. I don't have pics but I will take some when I go back on Friday.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice